If you’re looking for a homemade Frappuccino recipe that tastes just as good as Starbucks, then this is the recipe to try!
Not only does it taste amazing, but it’s also made with simple ingredients, and it will save you $5 a drink. Perfect for those that love to make coffee at home and love a refreshing drink!
I’ll show you the perfect 5-minute recipe for the Starbucks mocha Frappuccino with homemade ingredients in this article. Let’s get started!
What is a mocha Frappuccino?
A mocha Frappuccino is a chocolate and coffee-flavored Frappuccino drink from Starbucks. It is made with a blend of coffee, milk, ice, and chocolatey goodness – giving it a frothy, creamy texture that will please any coffee lover.
The classic mocha Frappuccino is finished off with whipped cream and mocha drizzle, which makes it even more decadent. Plus, I’ll look fantastic if you plan on serving this to your friends and family!
Tip: This mocha Frappuccino uses the same basis as the basic Frappuccino. If this is your first time making this drink at home, I suggest you check out this recipe first.
Below, I’ll go over the ingredients needed to get started with this homemade version of the mocha Frappuccino:
What is in a mocha Frappuccino?
You can easily make a mocha Frappuccino from scratch with the following ingredients:
- Strong coffee – I like espresso for the most robust flavor, but you can also use strong brewed coffee instead—more on this below.
- Milk of choice – Because it’s a blended beverage, you can use any milk you like. I prefer using whole milk in most recipes, but feel free to substitute it for low-fat milk or a dairy-free alternative.
- Mocha sauce will be the sweetener and topping for this drink. You can use a store-bought version or make it yourself with the recipe I’ve listed further down in the article.
- Crushed ice is used for the perfect homemade Frappuccino, but you can also use regular ice cubes. Keep in mind that you’ll need to blend the mixture slightly longer if you use larger ice cubes.
- A topping of choice. I like to top my Frappuccino with a good amount of whipped cream. It’ll look great on top of the drink because you can also drizzle some more mocha sauce on top!
If you prefer, add a bit of sugar to the mixture before blending it; this will sweeten your mocha Frappuccino a bit more.
I found that this recipe doesn’t exactly need it, but if you’re using a store-bought mocha sauce that isn’t sweet enough, this is the perfect way to add some additional sweetness.
You can also use your favorite coffee syrup. Use one tablespoon (15 grams) along with all of the other ingredients.
Tip: Check out many homemade coffee syrups to see which fits your flavor preference, and try your hand at making it!
There are other variations of the mocha Frappuccino, such as the java chip Frappuccino, which also adds java chips (also referred to as chocolate chips) to the mix.
If you want to try out that recipe, you can check out this step-by-step guide.
How do you make the mocha sauce at home?
There are a few different ways that you can make the mocha sauce at home, but the simplest way is to combine equal amounts of cocoa powder, water, and white granulated sugar.
- You can use more cocoa powder and less water if you want a richer mocha sauce.
- If you want a sweeter mocha sauce, you can use more sugar.
- And if you want a thinner mocha sauce, you can use more water.
Once you’ve combined all of the ingredients together, simply heat the mixture over low heat until it is smooth and thickened to your desired consistency.
Be sure to stir frequently so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan or burn. Once the sugar has dissolved, allow it to cool completely before using it in this recipe. It’ll look like this when finished:
You can check out the complete guide to making the mocha sauce at home here.
What is the best coffee to use in this recipe?
The best coffee to use in a Frappuccino is espresso for a strong flavor and brewed coffee for a milder flavor.
Espresso has a stronger flavor that will stand out against the other ingredients in the drink, while brewed coffee will provide a milder flavor that won’t overpower the other flavors.
Whatever you decide, make sure to use fresh, quality coffee for the best results. You can check out some of my favorite coffee beans for espresso here.
It’s also best to let the coffee cool completely before using it for this recipe. Cooled coffee will allow the ice cubes to bind the drink slightly, making that perfect Frappuccino thickness.
If you use hot coffee instead, you’ll water down your mixture because the coffee will melt most of the ice.
How do you make a mocha Frappuccino at home?
You can easily make a mocha Frappuccino at home by following the steps below. If you want the complete recipe, scroll down a bit further.
- Brew your coffee and let it cool completely before using.
- Combine the coffee, milk, and mocha sauce in a blender.
- Add the crushed ice or ice cubes to the blender.
- Blend the mixture until it still has a bit of texture and is not super smooth.
- Pour the Frappuccino into a glass and top with whipped cream and mocha sauce if desired. Enjoy!
With the photos above, you can easily follow along. You can follow the recipe below to get started on your homemade mocha Frappuccino:
- Three espresso shots (3 oz or 90 ml) or 1/2 cup (120 ml) of brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup (0.12 l) of whole milk
- 1 cup (240 grams) of crushed ice or regular ice cubes
- 3 tbsp (45 grams) of mocha sauce
- A serving of whipped cream
- Start by brewing your coffee if you haven't done so already. Let the coffee cool completely before using it in this recipe for the best result.
- Add the coffee, milk, and two tablespoons of mocha sauce to a blender cup.
- Now, add the crushed ice or regular ice cubes to the blender.
- Blend the Frappuccino mix until the ice is broken into small pieces, but it still has some texture.
- Pour the mixture into a tall glass.
- Finish your homemade mocha Frappuccino with a good amount of whipped cream and the remaining tablespoon of mocha sauce.
- Serve with a straw and enjoy as soon as possible!
You can quickly cool your brewed coffee by adding a few ice cubes to it. This will water it down slightly, but you'll be able to make this recipe very quickly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6.5gUnsaturated Fat: 1.6gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 57mgCarbohydrates: 14.6gFiber: 5gSugar: 21.3gProtein: 6.9g
So, there you have it! My recipe for the mocha Frappuccino from Starbucks. This is a great coffee drink to enjoy on a hot day, and it’s easy to make at home.
I like that you can make it from scratch with the homemade mocha sauce or use a store-bought version for the quickest mocha Frappuccino at home.
If you like drinking iced coffee, you can have a look below at some more recipes that are worth trying out: