A Frappuccino might do the trick when you’re tired of the same old afternoon coffee. While you can buy one at your local Starbucks, why not learn how to make your own Frappuccino at home?
This simple recipe will show you how to make a Frappuccino using only five ingredients.
This icy concoction is a sweet treat you can have on the go, which means it’s perfect for summer.
In this article, I’ll go over everything you need to know to make one at home. Let’s get started!
What is a Frappuccino?
A Frappuccino is a blended, iced coffee drink that Starbucks created in 1995. It typically contains coffee, milk, flavored syrup, and ice but can also be made with espresso.
Today, I’m going over the most basic version of the Frappuccino you can make at home. You can then use this base Frappuccino recipe to make all kinds of different flavored ones.
I’ll also cover some of my favorite Frappuccinos that you can make with this basic recipe. But first, let’s go over the ingredients needed:
What is a Frappuccino made of?
You can make a Frappuccino at home with the following ingredients:
- Strong coffee – you can use espresso coffee or strong-brewed coffee for this.
- Sweetener of choice – for this recipe, it’s best to make a basic coffee syrup, so it’ll completely dissolve in the drink. You can also use any kind of regular sugar for this.
- Milk of choice. I prefer using whole milk for the flavor, but you can use low-fat milk or a dairy-free alternative too. You could even substitute the milk for half-and-half!
- Crushed ice is used for those perfect small bits of ice in your drink. You can also use regular ice cubes, but you’ll need to blend the mixture longer to break up the ice.
- A topping such as whipped cream is perfect to finish your homemade Frappuccino. You can add toppings to your Frappuccino in many ways, but more on this later.
I found it’s best to make simple syrup at home to sweeten the Frappuccino.
You can easily make a simple syrup by combining equal parts white granulated sugar and cold tap water.
Place it on the stove and heat it until the sugar is dissolved, then let it cool completely before using it for this recipe. It looks like this when it’s finished:
This sugar syrup basis can be used to make more flavorful Frappuccinos of choice. Below, I’ve listed some of my favorite coffee syrups you can use to sweeten your coffee:
- Chocolate syrup for a mocha-style Frappuccino
- Vanilla syrup can be used to make vanilla-flavored Frappucinos
- Pumpkin spice syrup is perfect if you want a fall-inspired Frappucino
These are just a few options to sweeten your Frappuccino. I’ll go over even more ways to do so a bit further down in the article.
First, let’s go over the best coffee to use:
Which coffee is best used for this recipe?
There are a few different types of coffee that can be used for a Frappuccino:
- For a strong flavor, espresso coffee is the best option.
- If you want a slightly milder version, you can use brewed coffee.
- Decaf coffee is also an option if you want to avoid caffeine. Decaf coffee doesn’t taste different, so it’s a great alternative.
Whichever type of coffee you use, make sure it is fresh and of good quality for the best results.
Personally, I prefer using three espressos as the basis for my Frappuccino.
The bold flavors found in a good espresso pair perfectly with the sweeter flavors of the Frappuccino.
You can also stick with a doppio espresso (also called a double espresso) which looks like this once brewed:
If you also plan to use espresso as your basis, you can check out some of my favorite coffee beans for espresso here.
Do you like a sweeter Frappuccino? You can best brew your favorite coffee instead. Brewed coffee is milder in flavor, and you can always add some more sweetness to your drink if you still find it a bit too strong.
You can expect the following flavors to be present depending on the brewing technique you’re using:
|Brewing method:||Flavor profile:|
|Chemex||Balanced and floral|
|French press||Robust and chocolatey|
|Hario V60||Sweet and concentrated|
You can check out my beginner’s guide to brewing coffee to get you started on brewing coffee at home. I’ll also cover the coffee-to-water ratios to use for the flavor profile you’re looking for!
Now that you have a good idea of what a Frappuccino is and which ingredients are involved, you can have a look below at a step-by-step guide:
How to make a Frappuccino
Below, you’ll find a quick overview of making a Frappuccino at home. This includes photos of the process so you can follow along.
For the complete recipe, you can scroll down a bit further.
- To make a Frappuccino, first, gather all the ingredients.
- Then, brew the coffee and pour it into a blender.
- Add the milk and crushed ice (or ice cubes) to the blender and blend until slightly chunky.
- Finally, top with whipped cream and enjoy!
- If you want to get really fancy, you can add some flavor syrups or even some chocolate sauce to your Frappuccino. Just remember to drink it before it melts!
As you can see from the photos above, making a Frappuccino at home is quick and easy to do. Below, you can find some ways you can sweeten and take your Frappuccino game to the next level:
What are some ways to sweeten a Frappuccino at home?
The exact ingredients can vary depending on what you like. For example, a chocolate Frappuccino will generally have chocolate syrup or cocoa powder added to the basic recipe.
You can also make Frappuccinos with vanilla, caramel, or other flavored syrups, as well as various kinds of fruit juices or purees.
There are endless flavor possibilities you could try to make the perfect Frappuccino at home!
- Three espresso shots (3 oz or 90 ml) or 1/2 cup (120 ml) of brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup (0.12 l) of whole milk
- 1 cup (240 grams) of crushed ice (or ice cubes)
- 2 tbsp (30 grams) of coffee syrup
- A serving of whipped cream
- Start by brewing your coffee. For a more robust Frappuccino, you can use espresso. For a milder version, it's best to use brewed coffee instead.
- After brewing the coffee, let it cool slightly before moving on to the next step. You can also chill it overnight in the fridge if you want to make this recipe in the early morning.
- Pour the coffee into a blender cup, along with the milk, coffee syrup, and crushed ice (or ice cubes).
- Blend the mixture until the ice cubes are slightly chunky but not all the way smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a tall glass of choice.
- Top with whipped cream, serve with a straw, and enjoy!
For the easiest and quickest homemade Frappuccino, it's best to use simple syrup, as this is the easiest to make.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5.3gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 59mgCarbohydrates: 11.4gSugar: 11.3gProtein: 3.9g
So, there you have it! A quick and easy way to make a Frappuccino at home. This recipe will be perfect for the summer when temperatures are high, and you need something cold and refreshing to drink.
I love that you can customize this drink with your favorite add-ins to make it the perfect and refreshing at-home coffee you can make!
I hope you enjoy this delicious treat! If you’re interested in trying out even more delicious iced coffees, you can have a look below: