For those of you who are looking for a great summertime drink, you are going to love this easy DIY recipe for java chip Frappuccino. This is a copycat version of the Starbucks drink that you can make at home for less.
In this article, I’ll show you how to make a java chip Frappuccino at home with homemade ingredients.
It’s a quick and easy recipe that you can customize to taste and with different ingredients that you love. Let’s get started!
What is a java chip Frappuccino?
A java chip Frappuccino is a type of coffee drink made by blending ice, milk, coffee, mocha sauce, and java chips (chocolate chips). You can also add whipped cream on top if you like.
The chocolate chips are blended into the Frappuccino, so you get little bits of chocolate in every sip.
This recipe is great to make at home as you can make it entirely from scratch with all homemade ingredients.
Tip: This java chip version is based on a basic Frappuccino recipe. You can check out that recipe here if it’s your first time making a Frappuccino at home.
Below, I’ll go over the ingredients needed to get started, the most delicious coffee to use, and show you how to make the mocha sauce at home.
What is in a java chip Frappuccino?
To make a java chip Frappuccino at home, you’ll need five main ingredients:
- Strong coffee – you can use espresso or strong-brewed coffee for the best results. More on this later.
- Milk of choice – I prefer using whole milk for the full flavor, but feel free to substitute it for low-fat milk or a milk alternative that you have in your fridge. The most important thing is that you like the flavor!
- Mocha sauce is the sweetener for this drink and will also be used as a topping (which looks even better if you also use whipped cream on your drink).
- Crushed ice is best used for this recipe, but you can also use regular ice cubes. Remember that you might need to blend the mixture for a bit longer.
- Java chips are used for the small pieces of chocolate delight in your Frappuccino.
- Your favorite topping like whipped cream is the perfect addition for a well-balanced and more decadent homemade Frappuccino!
There are a few ways you can make this java chip Frappuccino at home, depending on the ingredients you have at hand. Below, I’ll cover some of the most important parts of this drink:
What is the best substitute for java chips?
Java chips are also called chocolate chips and are used in drinks because you can blend them more easily.
If you’d like to learn all about java chips, you can check out this in-depth article!
You can use any kind of chocolate chips that you prefer in this recipe. I like the dark chocolate kind, but milk chocolate will also work.
One of the best substitutes for java chips is dark chocolate. It has a similar flavor and texture, but without all of the sugar and unhealthy fats.
Make sure the chocolate you use is at least 70% cacao or higher in order to get the right flavor profile.
Another good substitute is cacao nibs which are made from pure cacao beans. They have a slightly bitter taste, but they’re a healthy way to get your chocolate fix and will also blend into your java chip Frappuccino!
Now, let’s go over the best coffee to use in this recipe, and then I’ll go over the easy steps required to make one of these delicious iced coffees at home!
Which coffee tastes most delicious in this recipe?
Most coffee drinkers prefer espresso in their Frappuccinos because it has a more intense flavor than regular brewed coffee.
However, some people like the taste of regular brewed coffee in their Frappuccinos, so it depends on your preference.
Personally, I like using three espresso shots, so the coffee flavor is still noticeable after blending it with all of the other ingredients.
You can also use your favorite brewed coffee for this recipe. Make sure to use a bit more coffee than you’d when using espresso to get on the same strength level.
Of course, if you’re not a fan of a robust flavor in your Frappuccino, you can use less coffee or a bit more mocha sauce to balance it to your preferred sweetness level!
How do you make a java chip Frappuccino at home?
To make a java chip Frappuccino at home, follow the steps listed below. I’ve added photos so you can see the easy process and follow along!
This is a quick overview of the recipe. For the complete recipe, scroll a bit further.
- Start by brewing your strong coffee and let it cool completely.
- Add the cooled coffee, milk, java chips, and mocha sauce to the blender.
- Then, place the ice cubes in the blender and blend the mixture until a slightly chunky mixture appears.
- Pour the Frappuccino into a glass and top with whipped cream and mocha sauce if desired. Enjoy!
Now that you know how easy it is to make a java chip Frappuccino at home, let me show you the quickest mocha sauce you can make at home that tastes absolutely delicious:
How do you make the mocha sauce at home?
To make the mocha sauce at home, you’ll need to combine equal parts white granulated sugar, cocoa powder, and cold tap water.
Simply mix these ingredients until everything is evenly combined in a small saucepan. Place it on the stove on medium heat and heat the sauce (while continuously stirring) until all the sugar is dissolved.
Remove it from the stove, let it cool completely, and then you’re ready to enjoy your homemade mocha sauce! It looks like this when finished:
If you’d like to try out the recipe, you can do so by following the recipe here.
Below, you’ll find the complete recipe to make this homemade java chip Frappuccino in just a few minutes:
Homemade Java Chip Frappuccino
This java chip Frappuccino is the perfect homemade recipe for those hot summer days if you want to treat yourself to a delicious and caffeinated drink!
- Three espresso shots (3 oz or 90 ml) or 1/2 cup (120 ml) of brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup (0.12 l) of whole milk
- 1 cup (240 grams) of crushed ice (or regular ice cubes)
- 1 tbsp (15 grams) of mocha sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 grams) of java chips
- A serving of whipped cream
- Start by brewing your coffee. It's best to brew the coffee beforehand and let it cool completely so that your beverage stays as cold as possible.
- Add the brewed coffee, milk, and java chips to your blender cup. For a sweeter Frappuccino, you can also add a tablespoon of mocha sauce to it.
- Now, add the crushed ice to the blender. You can also use regular ice cubes, but you'll need to blend the mixture slightly longer for the best result.
- Blend the Frappuccino mix until a slightly chunky mixture appears. For the optimal drinking experience, it's best not to make it super smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a tall glass of choice.
- Add your whipped cream to the glass and finish it with mocha sauce.
- Serve with a straw, and enjoy your homemade java chip Frappuccino!
If you'd like to make this recipe in the early morning, you can consider brewing the coffee before going to bed so that you can let it cool in the fridge overnight.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 14.2gSaturated Fat: 6.3gUnsaturated Fat: 2.7gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 58mgCarbohydrates: 18.6gFiber: 3.3gSugar: 19.5gProtein: 5.5g
If you’re looking for a Frappuccino recipe that will satisfy your sweet tooth, this is the one. The java chip Frappuccino is easy to make and tastes great.
It’s easy to make, and you can substitute dark chocolate for java chips. You can also use your favorite kind of milk, making it the perfect at-home recipe for the summer.
If you’re a fan of iced coffees, check out some of my favorites below: