Do you love the ‘taste of fall’? If you have answered yes to this question, then this article is perfect for you.
It includes the best recipe for an iced pumpkin spice latte that will be perfect for drinking on hot summer days! It’s easy to make and tastes amazing.
What is an iced pumpkin spice latte?
Let’s begin with the important question, what is an iced pumpkin spice latte?
An iced pumpkin spice latte is a coffee drink that has been mixed with milk, coffee, pumpkin spice mix, pumpkin purée, and condensed milk. This is all blended together for a smooth drink, served over ice with a topping of whipped cream.
The creaminess from the sweetened condensed milk adds to the richness in flavor. It works so well for this recipe.
You can also add vanilla extract for additional sweetness if desired. (More about that below)
What ingredients are in an iced pumpkin spice latte?
If you want to make your own – then the recipe includes:
- Whole milk or any other milk or milk alternative
- Espresso or strong brewed coffee (the amount will depend on how weak/strong you prefer)
- Sweetened condensed milk (can be substituted for half and half or heavy cream if desired)
- Pumpkin spice mix
- Vanilla extract is optional but recommended to make the drink richer in flavor.
- A handful of ice cubes
- Whipped cream (optional)
- And the most important one; pumpkin purée or canned pumpkin pie filling to make it even more special!
The pumpkin purée is optional but will add a stronger flavor and color if you choose to use this instead of just using coffee/milk and spices.
Can you make this recipe with pumpkin purée?
Pumpkin purée is a great choice for people who are looking to avoid unnecessary sugar intake from other ingredients, and it will also cut down on calories.
I’m using homemade pumpkin purée for this recipe. If you want to learn to make this at home, you can find more information in this article.
If you want to use the canned pumpkin pie filling, just omit the sweetened condensed milk and spices included in this recipe, but adjust your measurements accordingly.
You can also substitute the sweetened condensed milk with half and half or heavy cream if desired but make sure you adjust the recipe accordingly (such as using more coffee).
How to make the pumpkin spice mix?
To make the pumpkin spice mix, you’ll have to combine some ground spices. You’ll need the following spices:
- 20 grams of ground cinnamon
- 10 grams of ground ginger
- 5 grams of ground cloves
- 2 grams of ground nutmeg
- 2 grams of ground black pepper
Because all ingredients are ground, you just have to whisk them together until a nice even color forms. This way, all the flavors are well combined.
This will make quite a lot of pumpkin spice mix, enough for about ten servings of this iced pumpkin spice latte.
Keep it covered and store it sealed, so it retains all its flavors. Ultimately, you’ll be left with the homemade pumpkin spice mix that looks like this:
Tip: You can also use this spice mix to make a pumpkin cream cold brew.
What coffee is best used in this recipe?
You’ll want to make sure that your choice of the coffee matches the flavors in the pumpkin spice mix that you are using.
If the coffee is too strong or bitter, then it won’t work well with this recipe and will give a different flavor altogether, which may not be what you want!
Coffee should always be brewed fresh for quality taste so if possible, brew your favorite brand of black coffee before acquiring the rest of the ingredients.
Very mild coffee will not work well with this recipe, and you should choose another coffee to use instead if possible.
Espresso or strong brewed coffee is a good choice if you want the iced pumpkin spice latte to have a stronger flavor. You can also use regular ground coffee, but it might not provide as much flavor and might be too mild in taste.
You can also use a mixture of strong brewed coffee and espresso, giving the iced pumpkin spice latte less of a bitter flavor.
I like to brew the coffee with either a medium or dark roasted coffee bean. This is because these darker roasted coffee beans will be able to cut through all the sweetness and make for a unique tasting and balanced drink.
How to make an iced pumpkin spice latte
I like to mix all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. Using a blender makes a super smooth drink, plus it’s fast to make, so you have more time to enjoy it! It looks like this:
The iced pumpkin spice latte is best served cold with some ice cubes in it for a chilly drink that is perfect on any summer day!
You can also serve the ingredients separately to create your own personal “build-your-own” lattes customized by you and then mixed together when ready to enjoy.
For more customization tips, read along after the recipe card. But first, let’s get into the recipe:
- 1/2 cup (0.12 l) of whole milk
- 1/4 cup (0.06 l) of strong coffee (espresso or strong-brewed coffee)
- 1 tbsp (15 grams) of condensed milk
- 1 tbsp (15 grams) of pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp (5 grams) of pumpkin spice mix
- A splash of vanilla extract (to taste)
- Serving of whipped cream
- Ice cubes
- Make sure your coffee or espresso is made fresh because it will taste better and provide a sharper flavor that pairs well with the iced pumpkin spice latte.
- Add espresso or strong brewed coffee to your blender cup.
- Next, add the whole milk to the blender, along with a splash of vanilla extract.
- Add sweetened condensed milk. The amount you add will depend on what type of drink you prefer. For this drink, use 1-1/2 tablespoons (a little more if desired).
- Next, add the pumpkin spice mix. The amount will vary depending on how strong you want your flavor to be — for more sweetness, use lesser quantities such as just one teaspoon each, which will give it a milder taste overall but still a good flavor of pumpkin spice.
- Finally, add the pumpkin purée and blend it all until nice and smooth.
- After your pumpkin spice latte is smooth and delicious, pour it into a tall glass filled with ice.
- Finish the drink with a serving of whipped cream and, optionally, a sprinkle of the spice mix.
You can easily make more of this drink at once. Because you'll be using a blender to mix everything, you can also make this a day before and store a serving in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7.4gUnsaturated Fat: 5.2gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 68.4mgCarbohydrates: 20gSugar: 19.8gProtein: 6.4g
Do you want to make your own variation of an iced pumpkin spice latte?
No recipe is great without any of your own modifications, correct?
Here are a few tips that I have for you to add your own unique twist to this recipe:
- Use more or less spice mix depending on how strong you want the taste to be. The amount will vary based on what type of coffee is used, making sure that you adjust accordingly if necessary.
- You can also add ice cubes after adding all ingredients together for an even colder drink which may feel better during the summer months when it’s hot outside!
- Add some coconut milk for a more tropical flavor or even cinnamon syrup if you want something less sweet.
- Use maple syrup to create a “maple pumpkin spice latte” – this is perfect if you want your drink on the sweeter side but don’t like things being too sweet or syrupy tasting.
Sounds great, right?
Don’t forget to let me know in the comments below if you have any other great variations!
Iced pumpkin spice lattes are perfect for summer, especially with the warm weather!
This recipe is one of my favorites because it’s super easy to make! It also comes out tasting delicious, even if you don’t follow this exact recipe – as long as you use good coffee beans, then I’m sure it’ll come out well in the end regardless of what changes were made.
The best part about this latte is how customizable it can be by adding other ingredients such as cinnamon syrup instead of vanilla extract or coconut milk instead of sweetened condensed milk, which gives it a different flavor without sacrificing any taste quality.
Experiment with your own variations and see what comes out of them. It’ll be a fun way to find new recipes that you might enjoy while still being able to make this recipe because of how quick, easy and simple it is! Enjoy!
How did you make this recipe? Let me know by leaving a comment down below. If you have any other questions regarding coffee, you can also contact me directly by pressing the “Contact Me” button at the top!