Are you ready for the fall season? I am. When I think of fall, the first thing that pops to mind is the delicious pumpkins that slowly start getting into the season. This is the main reason to make a homemade pumpkin spice latte if you ask me.
In this article, I’ll go over the basics of how to make a pumpkin spice latte at home using fresh pumpkin! There is plenty of pumpkins to go around, so don’t hesitate to add one to your shopping bag the next time you are shopping.
I’ll show you how to make your own pumpkin purée, don’t worry, it’s the easiest recipe you have ever followed.
What is a pumpkin spice latte?
A pumpkin spice latte is a latte made with whole milk, pumpkin spice syrup, whipped cream, and even more pumpkin spices. When comparing this to a regular latte, this pumpkin spice latte hits different!
The combination of the spicy pumpkin spice mix and sweetness of the pumpkin purée will get you through the colder days.
Why is this drink so popular?
The pumpkin spice latte was made popular by Starbucks. Starbucks has had this coffee on their menu for a couple of years now, for the fall season.
For most people, including me, I immediately think of pumpkins when thinking of the fall season. I don’t know why, but there is something about it that makes it special. This then reminds me of a warm, pumpkin spice latte.
When reading along, you will find the recipe to make the pumpkin spice latte at home.
You can make the pumpkin purée used for this recipe at home as well, and I will tell you how to do so further down. Your house will smell absolutely delicious after making this coffee.
Which ingredients do I need to make this pumpkin spice latte?
For this recipe, you will need quite a few different ingredients, but it will be worth the time and effort you put into it. Have a look below for the full ingredients list:
- Whole milk
- Espresso coffee
- Pumpkin spice syrup
- Whipped cream
You can use any milk you have at home. I like to use whole milk because of its full flavor, but low-fat milk will work just as well.
If you want to switch things up, you can also use dairy-free milk. This will completely change the flavor, which is awesome.
You’ll need pumpkin spice mix for that unique flavor. You can use the spice mix to top your drink, and it’s also used to make the pumpkin spice syrup.
Have a look below at how to make the spice mix:
How to make the spice mix for pumpkin spice?
To make the spice mix, you will need ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, and ground cloves.
This is the somewhat “traditional” spice mix. But for this recipe, adding a bit of black pepper will up your pumpkin spice latte.
- Ground cinnamon 20 grams.
- Ground ginger 10 grams.
- Ground cloves 5 grams.
- Ground nutmeg 2 grams.
- Ground black pepper 2 grams.
You are also going to need your homemade pumpkin purée (or the canned version if you don’t feel like making your own). I’ve listed the recipe for that below the recipe card.
Now, let’s jump into the recipe, and I will tell you step-by-step how to make yourself a pumpkin spice latte:
- 3/4 cup (0.18 l) of whole milk
- One espresso shot
- 2 tbsp (30 grams) of pumpkin spice syrup
- A serving of whipped cream
- Optionally, a dusting of pumpkin spice mix
Once you've prepared the pumpkin spice syrup, you can whip up a batch of pumpkin spice latte in minutes. Let's get started:
- The first step to any good latte is espresso coffee.
- Brew a single or double espresso shot with your favorite coffee brewer.
- Meanwhile, steam the whole milk.
- Add the pumpkin spice syrup to a tall glass of choice.
- Pour the steamed milk into the glass and give it a good mix.
- Then, pour the espresso coffee on top.
- Finish your pumpkin spice latte with a serving of whipped cream.
- Additionally, you can dust a bit more pumpkin spice mix to finish your drink!
That's all there is to it. You can best serve this coffee with a long spoon or a straw so you can stir everything together. Enjoy!
You can also switch out the milk for a milk substitute you really like. This will change the flavor of the pumpkin spice latte, which might suit your favorite flavors more.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 10.9gSaturated Fat: 6.4gUnsaturated Fat: 1.4gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 78mgCarbohydrates: 8.2gSugar: 23gProtein: 5.9g
How to make the pumpkin spice syrup at home
The pumpkin spice syrup is the basis for this drink. It’s easy to make, and you can use the homemade pumpkin purée to create that amazing flavor.
It’s also made with the spice mix I’ve shown you at the beginning, which tastes amazing. After making the syrup, it’ll look like this:
As you can see, the syrup has a dark color to it because of all the spices. Once you’ve made this syrup at home, you can use it in multiple coffees. The best part is that your house will be smelling like fall!
If you want to make the syrup at home, you can check out the complete recipe here.
How to prepare the pumpkin purée from scratch?
First off, let me tell you that this pumpkin purée is the easiest recipe you have ever had to make—no stress, and just one ingredient needed; pumpkins.
You can use any edible pumpkin for this recipe, although I would suggest using the same kind of pumpkin I am using, as this will give the coffee the distinguished flavor it is known for.
I chose a relatively small pumpkin for my recipe but feel free to make a larger amount of this pumpkin purée at once. The pumpkin purée can be easily frozen and kept well in the fridge for a few days.
- Start by preheating your oven to 200°C or 420°F. Now start washing your pumpkin. After that, cut the stems off your pumpkin on either side of the pumpkin.
- Now, cut the pumpkin in half and place and remove the seeds using a spoon. Put the two sides on a baking tray lined with a piece of baking paper. Ensure the pumpkin’s shell is facing outwards, as this improves the flavor of your pumpkin purée.
- Place the baking tray into your pre-heated oven and set the timer to 40 minutes; the pumpkin should now be fully cooked. You might want to check if this worked out; you can use a fork to check if the pumpkin is cooked through.
- If the fork goes right through the pumpkin’s shell and the inside of the pumpkin feels soft to touch, it is cooked through, and you can start to cool the pumpkin down to room temperature.
- Once the pumpkin has had the chance to cool off a bit, remove the skin and throw this out.
- You now have a clean, cooked pumpkin. Simply add this to a blender and swirl till a smooth structure is achieved. I am using a Magimix to make my pumpkin purée, but you can use any blender or hand-held blender you have at home.
You will be able to use this purée for this recipe, but also in pumpkin pies and other things. The purée will keep well for a few days in the fridge and up to a few months when frozen.
Which coffee is best used for this recipe?
For the best pumpkin spice latte, you will need to use a good-quality espresso. To make a good espresso, you are going to need good coffee beans to start with.
You might want to go to your local coffee roaster and ask for a nice medium or dark roasted coffee bean to make that espresso.
You can also make a strong cup of regular coffee to add to the pumpkin spice latte if you don’t own any coffee brewer to make an espresso. Just make sure you are using a good amount of coffee beans to get that espresso-like strongness.
If you are going to use regular coffee in this recipe, double the amount of coffee. Otherwise, the sweetness of the pumpkin spice syrup will dominate your coffee, and it will just be a sweet bomb instead of a well-balanced latte recipe.
Are you interested in learning to brew coffee at home? Then you can check out my beginner’s guide to brewing coffee.
The fall season is here, and now you have a delicious pumpkin spice recipe you can start making at home right away.
I think this coffee is best enjoyed sitting near a campfire (or heater) on a chilly day. You’ll feel hot from the inside in a matter of minutes when drinking this pumpkin spice latte.
Will you give this recipe a go? Let me know by leaving a comment down below. If you have any other questions regarding coffee, you can also contact me directly by pressing the “Contact Me” button at the top!
If you’re interested in trying out even more coffee recipes, you can check the links below. I’ve listed a few recipes that might be of interest to you.