We all love our iced coffee during the hot summer months. Whether you’re a fan of cold brew or iced lattes, there’s nothing better than waking up to a cool and refreshing caffeinated beverage on a warm day.
But when you get tired of your regular cappuccino and frappe, try this little twist on classic iced coffee. If you love sweet lattes, you’ll love this easy recipe for an iced caramel latte.
What is an iced caramel latte?
The iced caramel latte is a sweet and refreshing drink made with two espresso shots, milk of choice, homemade caramel sauce, and topped with a serving of whipped cream.
This recipe is super easy to make, and you can swap out any of the ingredients if you wish to. Down below, I’ve listed the ingredients used in this recipe; I’ll also go over the substitutes:
- You can substitute the espresso shots for a strong double brewed coffee or cold brew coffee.
- You can use any milk you have at home, like whole milk, lower-fat milk, or a milk alternative like soy milk or almond milk.
- I’ve listed a recipe for homemade caramel sauce further down, but you can also use a store-bought caramel sauce instead.
- I like to top this iced latte with a good amount of whipped cream for the extra sweetness and creamy taste, but you can also leave it out.
- This iced coffee is cooled with ice cubes. You can substitute this for coffee ice cubes to prevent watered-down coffee.
With all these options to make an amazing iced caramel latte that suits your taste perfectly, making Your Dream Coffee at home has never been easier.
Are caramel lattes sweet?
Caramel lattes are pretty sweet. The sweetness of the latte comes from the caramel sauce and the added whipped cream. These ingredients make for a sweet sensation.
However, because you’ll be using two espresso shots, you’ll counterbalance the sweetness with the strong coffee flavor, which is awesome.
I’ve also tested this recipe with a single shot of espresso but found that the sweetness from the caramel and whipped cream were a bit overpowering, so I suggest sticking with a double shot of espresso for the perfect balance.
Which is sweeter caramel macchiato or caramel latte?
Between a caramel macchiato and a caramel latte, the caramel macchiato is sweeter because it uses vanilla syrup to flavor it, along with caramel sauce. Where’s the caramel latte only uses caramel sauce.
Because of the added vanilla syrup, a caramel macchiato tastes a lot sweeter than this caramel latte. On the other hand, the caramel latte uses whipped cream on top, which the macchiato doesn’t use.
Both coffees are great to make and perfect for the summer. If you’re interested in trying out an iced caramel macchiato, you can check it out here.
Iced Caramel Latte
This easy iced caramel latte recipe will get you through those hot summer months!
- 3/4 cup (0.18 l) of whole milk
- 2 espresso shots
- 2 tbsp of caramel sauce
- Whipped cream
- Ice cubes
Now that you've made the caramel sauce, you can make this iced latte in just a few minutes. Let's get started:
- Brew the espresso shots and cool them down completely.
- In a tall glass of choice, pour in the cooled espresso.
- Add the caramel sauce to the espresso and give this a stir.
- Top this with ice cubes. I like to fill my glass to about halfway.
- Pour in the cold milk and top with whipped cream.
- Optionally, you can drizzle some extra caramel sauce on the whipped cream.
Serve straight away for the best result, and stir it right before drinking it to combine the flavors.
If you want to sweeten the iced latte a bit more, add an extra tablespoon of caramel sauce or use a single shot of espresso instead of two.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 6.8gSaturated Fat: 3.8gUnsaturated Fat: 1.6gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 101mgCarbohydrates: 38gSugar: 21.2g
The nutritional information is based on the ingredients list. If you swap out any ingredients mentioned, the number of calories can change. Have a look below for a full breakdown.
Iced caramel latte calories
The number of calories in an iced caramel latte is 230. The biggest number of calories comes from caramel sauce and whole milk. To give you an idea of how the calories are made up, you can have a look below:
- Whole milk has a total of 110 calories.
- The caramel sauce is good for 120 calories. This is from two tablespoons.
- If you’ve added whipped cream, it adds 80 calories to the iced latte for a serving.
If you want to switch out any of the ingredients, you can retract the number of calories displayed here and add the number of calories of the ingredients you’re going to add.
How to make homemade caramel sauce
Making caramel is super easy to do at home, and it’ll bring your iced coffees to the next level!
Down below, I’ve listed a caramel sauce recipe that will be enough for six to eight servings of this iced latte coffee. You’ll need the following ingredients to get started:
- 7 oz (200 grams) of white granulated sugar
- 4 oz (120 grams) of heavy cream
- Splash of water
As you can see, this recipe uses only two ingredients. Follow the next steps to make the caramel sauce:
- In a small saucepan — preferably with a handle, combine the white granulated sugar and just a splash of water to wet the sugar.
- The water should just wet the sugar slightly, and you can swirl the saucepan around for the best result.
- Place the saucepan on the stove, on medium heat.
- Now, it’s time to wait. Let the sugar mixture bubble away until the sugar has fully dissolved.
- It’ll leave you with a crystal clear sugar mixture; this is perfect.
- It’s now time to caramelize the sugar mixture.
- To caramelize, leave it on the heat until it turns into a golden-brown mixture. This usually takes about two minutes.
- Once the sugar has browned, remove it from the heat and grab a whisk.
- Now, slowly pour in the whipped cream, stirring constantly.
- The caramel sauce will be hot, so make sure you use oven wands to prevent getting splashed with hot liquid.
- Keep stirring the whipped cream through the caramel until it has combined entirely, and you’re left with a smooth caramel sauce.
- Leave to cool completely and transfer to a resealable container of choice. You can now use it for this iced latte recipe.
The caramel sauce is best stored in the refrigerator for up to a few days. Make sure to seal it tightly to preserve it best.
If you have some leftover caramel sauce, you can also use to it make the following recipes:
This iced latte recipe is one of my favorites to make in the summertime. By making a big batch of caramel sauce once, you can use it to make these iced coffees for the coming days in just a few minutes.
If you’re interested in trying out even more iced coffee recipes, you can have a look below. I’ve listed a few iced coffees that are also super easy to make and will get you through those hot days!
Are you a fan of homemade caramel sauce? Let me know by leaving a comment down below. If you have any other questions regarding coffee, you can also contact me directly by pressing the “Contact Me” button at the top!