I wanted to make more cold brew coffee versions that bring the relatively simple cold brew coffee and turn it into a super delicious coffee that you can enjoy time and again.
So today, I’m showing you how to make a salted caramel cream cold brew coffee. Who doesn’t love to slowly sip on a delightful cold coffee on a hot summer day?
To bring it up a notch, I’ll also show you how to make your own caramel sauce and salted cold foam for this recipe. After the recipe card, you can find all the information and a step-by-step guide for each recipe.
It’ll be amazing, so grab a cup of coffee and start reading away.
What is a salted caramel cream cold brew?
A salted caramel cream cold brew is a coffee drink that consists of robust cold brew coffee as the basis, mixed with homemade caramel sauce, and topped with salted cold foam. This is cooled with ice cubes to make it cold and delicious.
I’ve been drinking cold brew coffee for some years now, and it’s still one of the best coffee drinks to enjoy in the summer months.
But what’s better than regular cold brew coffee? It’s flavored cold brew coffee with homemade caramel sauce and salted cold foam that gives it that delicious foamy mouthfeel!
Down below, you’ll find all the equipment needed to make this recipe yourself. After that, I’ve listed the ingredients and will also tell you what the best coffee is to use.
Equipment needed for this recipe
This coffee recipe has a lot of different parts to make separately, but once you’ve made all of these delicious ingredients from scratch or use a substitute, you’ll be able to make this coffee in no time.
For the cold brew coffee, you’ll need:
- Coarsely ground coffee beans
- Cold water
- A large container or French press
This is all you’ll need to make the amazing basis for this coffee recipe. Further down, I’ll go over a substitute for cold brew coffee if you don’t want to be waiting for such a long time.
To make the salted cold foam at home, you’ll need:
- Heavy cream
- Milk of choice
The salted cold foam is an interesting take on the classic cold foam. It uses heavy cream in addition to the milk to make it an even tastier drink.
To make the caramel sauce from scratch, you’ll need:
- Heavy cream
- Small saucepan with handle
This caramel sauce recipe is amazing and is pretty easy to make. If you don’t want to go through the trouble of making your own caramel sauce, it’s totally fine to use a store-bought caramel sauce. This coffee recipe will still taste amazing.
Ingredients used in this recipe
This coffee recipe exists of a few ingredients that you might already have at home; they include:
- Cold brew coffee
- Caramel sauce
- Salted cold foam
- Ice cubes
That’s all there is to it. Further in this article, I’ll show you how to make your own caramel sauce and salted cold foam to top your drink. But first, let me tell you about the best coffee to use:
What coffee is best used?
The best coffee for this recipe is cold brew coffee. If you want to save some time, you can also make iced coffee as the basis for this recipe.
If you don’t want to go through the trouble of making cold brew coffee, you can make iced coffee from any coffee that you like to drink. To make iced coffee, follow the next steps:
- Brew a cup of coffee of your choice.
- Let it cool down slightly.
- Add enough ice to cool it down entirely.
Cold brew coffee is still the best choice because of the stronger taste. Iced coffee tends to taste a bit watery because of the amount of ice added to cool it down. If you want to make cold brew coffee, follow the next steps:
- Combine coarsely ground coffee with cold tap water in a large container, preferably a French press.
- I like to use a 1:10 ratio. So for each gram of coffee, you’d add 10 grams of water. For this recipe, I’ve used 80 grams of ground coffee and 800 grams of water.
- Stir the ground coffee and water until all the coffee grounds are wetted equally.
- Leave to steep for at least 12 hours. I recommend 15-16 hours for the best result.
- After steeping, filter the coffee using a fine-mesh sieve with a cheesecloth or using the French press’s plunger.
- You’ve now made incredibly tasty cold brew coffee that you can use as the basis for this coffee recipe!
Here I go in-depth about the techniques, and you’ll have all the information needed. This will include the best ways to filter the coffee.
If you don’t want to go through the troubler of sieving and filtering your cold brew coffee, you can use a cold brew maker to do the work for you.
The included mesh sieve compartment will keep your ground coffee separated from the water, and you’ll only have to pull out the filter once the coffee has steeped long enough. If you’re interested, you can check it out here:
Before I show you how to make your own salted cold foam and caramel sauce, let me show you how to make this coffee recipe. After that, I’ve listed the recipes to make the remaining toppings:
- 3/4 cups (0.18 l) of cold brew coffee
- 2 tbsp (30 grams) of caramel sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 grams) of salted cold foam
- Ice cubes
Once you've made all the ingredients for this coffee recipe, it's all about the assembly of the coffee drink:
- Add the caramel sauce to a glass of choice.
- Pour the cold brew coffee on top and stir together.
- Add enough ice to cover the coffee mixture and cool the drink enough.
- Stir again, so the coffee and ice cubes have combined completely.
- Spoon the salted cold foam on top of your drink and serve.
That's all there is to it. If you've made all the ingredients in bigger batches, you can make this delicious coffee recipe in a matter of minutes.
The nutritional information can change when you're using more caramel to sweeten it up. So keep that in mind when changing things up.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 9.5gSaturated Fat: 5.8gTrans Fat: 0.2gUnsaturated Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 50.5mgCarbohydrates: 27gSugar: 23.2gProtein: 0.9g
How to make salted cold foam?
I like to use half & half for the salted cold foam.
To make it, use half heavy cream and half milk of choice. This will ensure a good fluffy foam that holds the sugar and salt really well. You’ll need these ingredients to make cold foam for 6 servings:
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of whole milk (or any other milk)
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) of fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) of white granulated sugar
You can choose any milk you have at home. I used whole milk as this is what I had, but low-fat milk or 2% fat milk will work just as great because you’ve already got the slight fattiness from the heavy cream, so lower-calorie milk will suffice.
You’ve got a few options as to making the cold foam at home. You can use a French press, milk frother, or even a blender to mix and fluff the milk. For this example, I’ll use a French press to make the cold foam:
- Pour the milk and heavy cream into the French press beaker.
- Add the salt and sugar to the milk mixture.
- Place the French press’ plunger on top of the beaker.
- Start pressing up and down for about 30-45 seconds until frothy. This can take longer depending on how much you plan on making.
- Once fully foamed, remove the plunger from the beaker, and you’re ready to roll.
You’ve now made cold foam flavored with sea salt and a bit of sweetness from the sugar. You can now use this to top this coffee recipe.
The cold foam recipe will be enough for 6 servings. If you plan on making more coffees, you can double the recipe.
I’ve just talked you through a few ways of making cold foam at home. If you want to learn more about making cold foam and, in particular, on 5 ways to make cold foam at home, you can check out this article.
How to make homemade caramel sauce?
Although it’s very easy just to buy a batch of caramel sauce and call it a day, it’s way more fun to make your own caramel sauce from scratch.
Now, I won’t hold it against you when you’re using a store-bought caramel sauce or syrup because it will still taste amazing. This caramel sauce recipe is for those who have a bit more time on their hands.
To make the caramel sauce from scratch, you’ll need the following ingredients to make a batch of caramel sauce that is enough for 8 coffee drinks.
- 7 oz (200 grams) of white granulated sugar
- 4 oz (120 grams) of heavy cream
- A tiny bit of water
This caramel sauce will be creamy and delicious. The heavy cream is there to make it a bit lighter and sweeter. It will also ensure that you can still pour the caramel sauce into your cup after making it. Follow the next steps to make it yourself:
- In a small saucepan with a handle, add the sugar and a splash of water.
- Place the saucepan on your stove on medium heat.
- Swirl the water and sugar together.
- Now, leave it to heat and bubble away.
- There comes the point where the sugar is dissolved, and you’re left with shiny sugar syrup. At this point, you’re starting to brown the caramel.
- Leave the caramel to brown for two minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and slowly pour in the heavy cream while stirring with a whisk.
- The whisk is used to make sure that no clumps form.
- Let the caramel cool down before using it in the recipe.
The most difficult part about making caramel yourself is the browning stage. Down below, I’ve added some additional photos so you can check if you’re on the right track:
Please note: The caramel will be extremely hot. Be careful when adding the heavy cream and protect yourself by using oven wands and an apron to prevent getting burned.
If you want to make a salted caramel sauce, you can add a pinch of sea salt to your caramel after adding the heavy cream. This will bring your caramel to the next level.
However, if you want to make even more coffee recipes with caramel sauce like this caramel iced coffee, you might want to leave it as is. But, Your Dream Coffee is all about making the best coffee that suits your flavors, so spice it up however you like.
This coffee recipe is insanely delicious. Once you’ve got all the ingredients in bigger batches, you get to make this iced coffee in just a few minutes.
Cold brew coffee is one of the best ways to get through the hot summer days, and the homemade caramel sauce and salted cold foam are there to spice things up, so you don’t get bored drinking regular cold brew coffee all day.
If you want to try even more coffee recipes today, you can check out the article I’ve listed below. These coffee drinks are all iced-based, so it’s perfect for making in the summer months or when you just want to start the day with an iced coffee.
Do you love cold brew coffee as much as I? Let me know by leaving a comment down below. If you have any other questions regarding coffee, you can also contact me directly by pressing the “Contact Me” button at the top!