Cold brew is one of the most popular coffee trends in recent years. The slow-extraction process makes for a smooth, rich flavor that’s less acidic than hot brews.
If you’re looking for a delicious and nourishing way to start your day, this cold brew with cocoa and almondmilk foam recipe is a great way to go. Enjoy it at home or take it on the go.
Down below, I’ll be talking about the coffee, what it is, how it tastes, and how to make it at home. After the recipe card, I’ve listed the best way to make cold brew coffee at home and the number of calories that this drink contains.
Does this recipe sound like a drink that you’d like? Then you’re in the right place. Grab a nice cup of coffee and start reading away!
What is a cold brew with dark cocoa almondmilk foam?
A cold brew with dark cocoa almondmilk foam is the perfect choice for a hot summer afternoon. This is an easy recipe that takes 5 minutes to prepare, and you will be enjoying it in minutes.
If you love coffee, then this is a drink that you will enjoy over and over again.
This cold brew recipe is made by combining strong cold brew coffee, almond milk cold foam, and a sweet sugar-based mocha sauce that is just amazing.
What does this coffee taste like?
This coffee is amazing tasting and looks great too! The strong coffee flavors combined with the homemade mocha sauce and the almond cold foam makes for a perfect combination that you’ll love.
Cold brew coffee tends to have bitter and stronger flavors than you’ll likely be used to. To counteract this, I’ve made a sweet mocha sauce. This sauce in combination with the strong coffee flavors and the slight sweetness from the almond milk just works.
I’m really happy with how this coffee drink turned out. Let me tell you about the ingredients used for this recipe. After that, I’ve listed the recipe card so you can give this coffee recipe a try yourself.
What ingredients are used in this recipe?
There are few things better than a tall glass of iced coffee on a hot summer’s day. But in order to stock your fridge with a concoction that’s actually worth drinking, you’re probably better off making it at home.
I’ve combined my favorite cold brew with the decadence of chocolate and a hint of almond that’s as good as it is good for you.
There’s a few ingredients that you need to collect before getting started on this recipe:
- Almond milk
- Heavy cream
- Cocoa powder
- Coffee beans for cold brew
- Ice cubes in the freezer
I’ve read the online reviews of this Starbucks drink and noticed that most people are not fans of the almond milk foam because it doesn’t foam that well.
I’ll be using almond milk and adding a bit of heavy cream to it so it keeps its structure. The cocoa powder is added to make the foam look chocolaty and boost the drink’s flavor.
I’ll be showing you how to make the mocha flavored sugar syrup yourself without that much trouble. This sauce will be the perfect addition to the strong flavors of cold brew coffee.
After the recipe card, I’ve listed a recipe for cold brew coffee, mocha-flavored almond milk foam, and how to make the mocha flavored sugar syrup.
- 3/4 cup (0.18 l) of cold brew coffee
- 2 tbsp (30 grams) of mocha syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 grams) of almond milk cold foam
- Ice cubes
- Cocoa powder for dusting
Now that you have made the cold brew coffee, almond milk cold foam, and mocha syrup, it's all about making the coffee drink:
- In a tall glass, add the cold brew coffee.
- Add enough ice cubes to the glass. I like to fill it up to about halfway.
- Swirl in the mocha flavored syrup.
- Give this a good stir, so the flavors are well incorporated.
- Finally, top the coffee with almond milk foam.
- Additionally, lightly dust the coffee with some extra cocoa powder.
It's best to serve the coffee straight away. The cold foam will want to slide to the bottom slightly, and the coffee will look smooth. It will look less appealing with time, so it's best to serve right away so you can impress your friends or family.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 95Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3.5gUnsaturated Fat: 1.5gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 26.5mgCarbohydrates: 1.2gSugar: 8.8gProtein: 0.8g
The nutritional information can change if you want to use a different ingredient or add more mocha syrup to the coffee. Check out the calorie breakdown below.
Cold brew with dark cocoa almondmilk foam calories
This coffee recipe has a total of 95 calories. Most calories come from the almond milk foam that has heavy cream added to it. I’ve listed the full breakdown of the calories below:
- The mocha flavored syrup is good for 40 calories.
- The almond milk from the foam has just 5 calories.
- The amount of heavy cream is good for 50 calories.
Cold brew coffee itself doesn’t contain any calories, so if you want to switch things up, you can remove the heavy cream and use only almond milk instead. You can also lower the amount of mocha flavored syrup used to make a less calorie-rich.
How to make cold brew coffee
Cold brew coffee can be made using different techniques. Down below, I’ve listed a way to make regular cold brew coffee.
This cold brewing technique is the easiest to make and will be amazing to make this coffee recipe with.
For this cold brew recipe, you’ll only need two ingredients with the following amounts:
- Coarsely ground coffee (80 grams)
- Cold tap water (800 grams)
This recipe uses a 1:1 ratio of coffee and water. It will result in a cold brew coffee that can be drunk as is or be used in coffee recipes like this.
To make the cold brew coffee, you can follow the steps listed below. This will make 800 grams of cold brew coffee in total:
- Combine the ground coffee and cold tap water into a large container or mug. I like to use a French press for this.
- When the ground coffee and water have been added to the container of choice, stir the mixture to ensure all coffee grounds are wetted.
- Cover the coffee mixture and set it aside on the kitchen counter for the next 15 hours.
- Once the 15 hours have passed, place the French press plunger on top and press down. This will filter the coffee, and you can use it from then on.
- If you’re using a different container or mug, grab a sieve and a cheesecloth or kitchen towel. Place the towel or cloth in the sieve and place it onto a cup to catch the liquid. Strain the cold brew coffee through the homemade filter system.
You can store the excess cold brew coffee in your refrigerator. Make sure to seal it tightly to make sure the coffee flavor stays intact.
If you don’t want to go through the trouble of filtering the cold brew coffee after steeping, I suggest using a cold brew maker.
This cold brew maker uses a filter that stays inside the flask to extract all the coffee flavors into the water. Once you’ve steeped it for long enough, you can simply remove the filter, clean it, and you can instantly use the cold brew coffee.
If this sounds like something that’d be interested in, you can check it out here!
- Mizudashi Coffee Maker: The simplest way to make and enjoy cold brew coffee at home. Simply add ground coffee to the fine mesh basket, add water and leave in refrigerator to brew. Clean up is easy with a removable filter--simply wash and reuse
- Cold Brew at Home: Grind coffee coarse for a lighter more delicate coffee, or finer for a brew with more body and strength. Delicious homemade cold brew coffee, however you like it
- Daily Use: Featuring a slender spout for slow, steady and controlled pouring. Brew and serve directly from glass coffee server
- Japanese Design: Made with high-quality Hario heatproof glass. Made in Japan
- Product Details: 5-cup capacity, brewed volume 1000mL; W138×D94×H294mm
How to make mocha flavored sugar syrup
This mocha flavored sugar syrup is based on simple syrup.
Simple syrup is made by heating sugar and water together until the sugar is dissolved. It uses a 1:1 ratio, meaning that you’ll need a gram of water for each gram of sugar.
But today, I’ll show you how to make a mocha flavored sugar syrup. You’ll need the following items to make mocha sugar syrup that’ll be enough for 6 coffees:
- 1/2 cup (0.12 l) of cold water
- 120 grams of white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 grams) of cocoa powder
That’s all you need to make an amazing basis for this coffee recipe. Follow the next steps to make the syrup:
- In a small saucepan, combine the ingredients mentioned above and place the saucepan on medium heat.
- Heat the mixture until the sugar is dissolved. It’s best to keep stirring this mixture throughout to prevent the sugar from burning.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool completely.
- You can store this mocha syrup in an airtight container so that you can make this recipe another day.
I suggest making more mocha flavored sugar syrup when you’re expecting to make more than 6 cups of coffee at once. The sugar syrup will keep well in the fridge for a few days, so a bigger batch is always handy.
If you’re interested in more information about this syrup, check out my complete guide here!
Related recipe: Always wondered how to make a mocha? Check out my complete mocha recipe here!
How to make almond milk cold foam
Because almond milk doesn’t foam well on its own, I’ve decided to add a bit of heavy cream to the mixture and foaming it then.
This will ensure that you get a great-tasting and lasting cold foam that’ll stay on your cold brew coffee for minutes after you serve it. You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup (0.12 l) of almond milk
- 1/2 cup (0.12 l) of heavy cream
- 1 tbsp (15 grams) of cocoa powder
If you want to keep this coffee vegan-friendly, you can leave the heavy cream out and stick with the almond milk. You can follow the same steps to make the cold foam.
To make the cold foam with almond milk flavored with cocoa powder, follow the steps listed below:
- To a French press beaker, add the almond milk, heavy cream, and cocoa powder.
- Add the plunger to the French press and start pressing up and down.
- This will create pressure that will fluff the milk.
- Keep doing this for about a minute. This might take longer if you’re making more at once.
- Once fully fluffed, you can remove the plunger, and the almond cacao foam can be used for the recipe.
There are even more ways to making cold foam at home. I’ve written an article about 5 ways to make cold foam at home. I suggest checking out the article to use a different technique to make this cold foam recipe.
Also, make sure to clean the French press after making cold foam with it. To properly clean your French press, I’ve written 5 ways to clean a French press in 60 seconds or less. Make sure to check it out. It’s a great guide.
This coffee recipe is quite easy to make once you’ve prepared the cold brew coffee and mocha syrup. You can make this coffee in an instant when you’ve got these items in your fridge.
I really like the taste of cold brew coffee as is, but sometimes I want to have a bit of fun and change it up a bit. This is when I turn to this coffee recipe and make a more flavorful coffee to enjoy.
I’ve listed a few more cold brew recipes for you below. You can try out these coffee recipes when you’ve got a bit of cold brew leftover. You’ll love the recipes.
Are you a big fan of cold brew coffee? Let me know by leaving a comment down below. If you have any other questions regarding coffee, you can also contact me directly by pressing the “Contact Me” button at the top!