The popularity of cold foam in the past few years is undeniable. Every year, it seems like there is a new trend for us to try.
And when the weather gets warm and the temperature rises, you might find yourself craving an iced coffee.
This chocolate cold foam is the perfect add-in for all of your cold brew coffees, iced coffees, espressos, and more!
In this article, I’ll go over what exactly this cold foam is made of, how to make the cold foam quickly, and the best drinks to use this cold foam on.
What is chocolate cold foam?
Chocolate cold foam is a thick and creamy foam made with low-fat milk and chocolate sauce. It’s perfect for topping your favorite iced coffees.
There are so many uses for this chocolate-flavored cold foam that you’ll be able to make a different tasting iced coffee for multiple days!
Below, you’ll find the ingredients that are needed to make this add-in at home. After that, I’ve listed additional information to make the best version you possibly can.
What ingredients are needed to make chocolate cold foam?
The best part about this chocolate cold foam is the number of ingredients. You’ll only need the following two:
- 2% fat milk
- Chocolate sauce
For this recipe, you can choose to use homemade chocolate sauce or a store-bought version you might already have at home.
You can make the chocolate sauce at home by following this easy recipe, and it’ll look like this when finished:
If you’d instead use a store-bought version, make sure it’s a high-quality kind like Torani Dark Chocolate Sauce from Amazon.com for the best flavor possible.
What is the best milk to use for this recipe?
If you’re looking for the best milk to produce cold foam for coffee, 2% milk is your best bet.
It has enough fat to produce good foam but not so much that it becomes difficult to work with.
Additionally, the higher percentage of water in skim milk makes it less likely to produce good foam.
Whole milk works best because it has more proteins than 2% or skim milk, and these proteins help to create stable bubbles. But I found that it works for hot milk froth better.
You can, however, use your favorite milk alternative. I’ve tested many milk alternatives to make cold foam, and they work quite well.
Keep in mind that it will not hold its structure for that long compared to 2% fat milk.
What is an alternative to the chocolate sauce?
You could use cocoa powder instead of chocolate sauce, but it really wouldn’t taste the same.
The chocolate sauce has a very smooth consistency. Cocoa powder on its own is very dense and dry, so it would be a very different texture entirely.
I suggest making your own chocolate sauce from scratch. This way, you’ll be able to adjust the sweetness to your liking.
You can find the complete recipe for homemade chocolate sauce here, or you could even make this recipe white chocolate sauce!
For this recipe, you could also melt some dark chocolate and use it in the recipe.
However, the milk might not foam up to make that delightful foamy topping because the chocolate will be quite hot.
How do you make the perfect cold foam?
There are a few ways to make cold foam: using a French press, shaking it in a jar, or using a hand mixer:
- To make cold foam with a French press, add the milk and chocolate sauce into the French press beaker, add the plunger and move it up and down for 60 seconds.
- To make cold foam with a jar, add the ingredients to the jar, close it with a lid and shake vigorously for roughly 30 seconds (it may take longer depending on the amount of cold foam you make).
- To make cold foam with a hand mixer, add the milk and chocolate sauce to a bowl, add the hand mixer and let it do its thing for about a minute. After that, you have the perfect cold foam!
There are even more ways you can make cold foam at home. You can check out this guide where I show you the five different ways you can make cold foam at home with a step-by-step guide.
I’ll be using the French press for the recipe card listed below. I found that the French press is one of the easiest ways to make this cold foam.
If you don’t have a French press at home, you can choose any of the other techniques which will give you the same result!
Which drinks can be topped with chocolate cold foam?
So many choices! You can top almost any drink with chocolate cold foam. Here are just a few ideas:
- Your favorite iced espresso drink. Add some chocolate cold foam to take it to the next level. Check out the best iced espresso recipes here.
- A classic iced latte. Chocolate and coffee is always a winning combination.
- A serving of cold brew coffee. The cold brew with cold foam combination is already perfect, but you can make it even more flavorful by using this chocolate version instead.
- An iced mocha. The chocolate cold foam would perfectly complement the chocolate in the drink itself.
Really, you can top any drink with chocolate cold foam! Just get creative and see what sounds good to you. I’m sure whatever you come up with will be amazing.
Now that you know what chocolate cold foam is and how you can use it for your next coffee drink, it’s time to make it:
Chocolate Cold Foam
You can make this chocolate cold foam in just a few minutes, and you can then use it to top your favorite iced coffee with it!
- 1/2 cup (0.12 l) of 2% fat milk
- 1 tbsp (15 grams) of chocolate sauce
- Add the milk and chocolate sauce to the French press beaker.
- Stir to combine for the perfect cold foam.
- Place the lid (with plunger) on top of the French press.
- Move the plunger up and down for about a minute.
- The cold foam will increase in volume after about 30 pumps.
- You can stop when a nice and thick foam appears.
- Your chocolate cold foam is now ready to be used. It's best to serve it right after making it, so you know it'll hold its structure well.
Feel free to use any of the other ways to make this cold foam, such as using a jar or blender.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 61Total Fat: 1.8gSaturated Fat: 1.2gUnsaturated Fat: 0.5gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 26mgCarbohydrates: 5.4gFiber: 1.6gSugar: 8.1gProtein: 3g
The nutritional information is calculated for one serving of three tablespoons of chocolate cold foam.
Cold foam is the perfect addition to any iced coffee. It makes an excellent presentation, and it’s easy to make at home.
If you’ve never tried cold foam before, I encourage you to give it a try to take your coffee game up a notch.
All in all, making chocolate cold foam at home is a quick and easy process that can elevate any iced coffee.
If you love drinking iced coffee, check out some of my personal favorites below: