Iced salted caramel mocha is the perfect drink to keep you cool on a hot day. The delicious combination of coffee, caramel, and chocolate makes this drink irresistible.
Best of all, it’s easy to make at home with just a few simple ingredients.
So, give this recipe a try the next time you’re in the mood for something sweet and decadent. You won’t be disappointed!
What is an iced salted caramel mocha?
An iced salted caramel mocha is a coffee drink that contains espresso, mocha sauce, toffee nut syrup, and cold milk. It is then topped with whipped cream and caramel sauce. Finally, it is garnished with a dusting of sea salt and served over ice.
This is the perfect drink to enjoy on a hot summer day as it’s easy to put together, and you can adjust the amount of sweetness so that it fits your taste!
Furthermore, you can make most of the components at home, save some money, and have a big batch of sweeteners ready to go for the coming days.
That means that you’ll be able to make this drink multiple times with ease.
And because this recipe is based on the regular iced mocha, you’ll have that same delicious flavor you’re used to, but now taken to the next level!
If this sounds good to you, check out the ingredient list below:
Which ingredients are needed to make an iced salted caramel mocha?
To make the perfect iced salted caramel mocha at home, you’ll need to collect the following ingredients:
- Espresso coffee is the main flavor component in this drink. It’s best to use espresso for the robust flavor, but you can also use brewed coffee instead (I’ll go in-depth about this below).
- Milk of choice – You can use any milk that you like for this recipe. If you want to cold foam the milk before adding it to the glass, I suggest using low-fat milk for the best results. Otherwise, whole milk will do the trick; even your favorite milk alternative tastes great.
- Ice cubes – Make sure you have enough ice cubes in the freezer to quickly make this drink (or make a second after finishing the first!)
- Toffee nut syrup is used to give this drink that unique flavor. It’s best to buy it to save some time. I’m using this toffee nut syrup from Amazon.
- Mocha sauce will be the main sweetener for this drink, and you can make it at home (recipe listed below) or use a store-bought version to save time.
- Whipped cream is the perfect add-on that will give your iced mocha a bit more decadence and will also hold the next ingredients.
- Caramel sauce is used to finish the drink and give that delicious deep caramel flavor to your drink. Homemade and store-bought will both work for this recipe.
- Sea salt is the final ingredient that will bring the drink together into one big success.
As you can see, you’ll need quite a few ingredients for this recipe. Keep in mind that you can use all store-bought syrups and sauces to save time and energy if you already have them at home.
Plus, you can make multiple different drinks with the sauces if you plan to make them from scratch. I’ve listed various recipes throughout the article so that you can try out even more drinks in the coming days!
How do you choose the right coffee for this recipe?
If you’re looking for the best coffee for an iced salted caramel mocha, espresso is your best bet as it has a more robust flavor than regular brewed coffee.
The rich flavor of espresso will perfectly complement the sweetness of the caramel and chocolate, and the salt will help to bring out the flavors of all three ingredients.
Plus, iced coffee made with espresso is always exceptionally smooth and refreshing.
If you don’t have an espresso machine or espresso maker at home, you could also use regular brewed coffee to make this mocha recipe.
I suggest using your favorite coffee brewer and brewing with good-quality coffee beans. French press coffee will be best as it usually has a stronger flavor than pour over coffee.
What are the best coffee beans to use?
If you’re looking for the best coffee beans to use for an iced salted caramel mocha, look no further than this list.
These beans have the perfect flavor profile to complement your drink’s sweet and salty notes, and you can find them on Amazon:
- Ethiopian coffee beans
- Kenyan AA coffee beans
- Guatemalan Antigua coffee beans
- Sumatra coffee beans
- Brazilian coffee beans
Iced salted caramel mochas are my favorite coffee drink, and I always use only the best ingredients.
You could use these coffee beans if you want to achieve that perfect balance of sweet and salty.
However, coffee beans from the same region will usually have the same flavor notes, so if you can’t find these exact coffee beans, an alternative will work just fine.
The same goes for if you already have some of your favorite coffee beans at home, use those to brew your perfect coffee and see how it pairs with these other ingredients!
How do you make the chocolate sauce at home?
You can quickly make a chocolate sauce (commonly referred to as mocha sauce) by combining equal parts of cocoa powder, white granulated sugar, and cold tap water in a small saucepan and heating it over medium heat.
Once the sugar has completely melted, take the sauce off the heat and let it cool. Transfer to a container, and it’ll look like this when finished:
If you’d like to try out the recipe, you can find the complete step-by-step guide in this article.
Can you also make caramel sauce from scratch?
Yes, you can make caramel sauce from scratch. The process is simple, but it does require some attention to detail.
Just heat sugar and water in a pan until the sugar dissolves, then cook it until it turns a deep amber color.
Add some heavy cream to it, stir to combine, and voila! It looks like this when it’s cooled and stored:
In this article, I’ll go over the complete recipe for the caramel sauce. It’ll have photos of the steps so that you can easily follow along. Go check it out!
Now, let’s get into the recipe so that you can taste this delicious coffee yourself:
- One or two espresso shots (1 or 2 oz, 30 or 60 ml)
- 1/2 cup (0.12 l) of whole milk
- 1 tbsp (15 grams) of toffee nut syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 grams) of mocha sauce
- A generous serving of whipped cream
- 1 tbsp (15 grams) of caramel sauce
- A pinch of sea salt
- Ice cubes
- Start by brewing your espresso coffee. Let it cool completely for the best result. You can speed up the cooling process by adding an ice cube to the hot coffee.
- In a tall glass, combine the mocha sauce and toffee nut syrup.
- Add the cooled espresso coffee to the glass and stir to combine.
- Next, add a good amount of ice cubes to the glass. I like to add enough to at least fill up the glass to about halfway.
- Top with cold milk of choice and optionally give this a stir as well.
- Finish the drink with a generous serving of whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
- Sprinkle on a pinch of sea salt and serve as soon as possible. Enjoy!
You can use two espresso shots if you want a more robust iced salted caramel mocha. Otherwise, one espresso shot will do the trick.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 11.3gSaturated Fat: 6.1gUnsaturated Fat: 2.4gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 65mgCarbohydrates: 34.4gFiber: 3.3gSugar: 40gProtein: 5.9g
So, there you have it! My guide to making the perfect iced salted caramel mocha at home. I hope you’ll give it a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
I love that you can customize this recipe to your liking by adjusting the amounts of sweeteners and espresso used.
And if you’re looking for more coffee recipes (or just some great coffee inspiration), have a look below.