It’s no surprise that your favorite coffee shop will serve you the best coffee. Quality coffee is hard to find or make.
It seems that most coffee shops have figured this out. But what if you could make your own at home?
No worries, with the right equipment, you can make the tastiest — and most delicious — salted caramel mocha at home.
Follow these easy steps to learn how to make salted caramel mocha at home.
What is a salted caramel mocha?
A salted caramel mocha is a coffee drink that contains espresso, steamed milk, mocha sauce, caramel sauce, and whipped cream. It is served with a shot of toffee nut syrup and a sprinkle of sea salt on top.
If you love to make espresso-based drinks that you can sweeten to taste, you’ll love this recipe.
This recipe is based on the classic mocha and is made with different sweeteners to give you a festive feeling in a cup.
Below, you can check out the ingredients that are needed to make this quick-to-make drink at home:
Which ingredients are needed to make a salted caramel mocha?
You need quite a few ingredients to make this delicious drink at home.
However, you can also use most, if not all, of the ingredients at a later date to make different drinks; I’ll talk more about this later on.
- Espresso coffee is one of the most important components in this recipe. It’ll provide a robust flavor that pairs perfectly with the sweeteners.
- Whole milk or a different kind of milk you prefer the most will all work for this recipe. You can even make different flavored drinks by using your favorite milk alternatives.
- Toffee nut syrup is one of the main sweeteners of this drink. It’s best to use a store-bought version to save some time. I’m using this toffee nut syrup from Amazon.
- Mocha sauce is used for that classic mocha flavor. You can also use a store-bought chocolate sauce for this or make it at home (recipe listed below).
- Whipped cream is the perfect topping and will provide that decadent touch to an already tasty drink.
- Caramel sauce will be the topping for this drink and is drizzled on the whipped cream to finish the drink. You can use a homemade version (listed below) or use a store-bought version if you have it at home.
- Sea salt is the final component of this drink. It’s used to sprinkle on top of the caramel sauce and whipped cream and will give you that perfect balance of sweet and salty.
Now that you know about the ingredients that are used to make this delicious drink, let’s talk some more about the best coffee to use, starting with espresso:
How do you make the best espresso at home?
If you want to make espresso at home, you need to have an espresso machine. You can either get a stovetop espresso maker or an electric one.
Once you have your machine, it’s time to get the coffee beans. Make sure to get a dark roast coffee for the best flavor. I’ll cover what coffee beans are best for espresso a bit further down.
Additionally, you can use your Nespresso machine to brew a few espresso coffees. This might be the most convenient way to brew great-tasting espresso coffee at home.
In this article, you can check out some of the best espresso pods for Nespresso. I’ll tell you about the taste, price, and much more!
To sum this up, you can make espresso coffee at home with the following machines and brewing techniques:
- Espresso machine
- Moka pot
- Nespresso machine
- French press (check out this article where I cover this controversial way to make espresso)
Can you also use brewed coffee for this recipe?
You can use brewed coffee instead of espresso if you prefer this.
Espresso has a more robust flavor than brewed coffee, so it’s best to make a strong-brewed coffee to come closer to the espresso strength.
French press coffee will work well for this because it has a fuller flavor than coffee made with a pour over technique like the Chemex.
You can also double brew your coffee or use a higher coffee-to-water ratio to increase the coffee strength. Read all about double brewing your coffee in this article.
Whichever brewing technique you choose, I’d suggest brewing the coffee with medium or dark roasted coffee beans for the most amount of flavor. More on this below:
Which coffee beans make the best espresso?
The best espresso is made from a blend of Arabica and Robusta beans. Arabica beans have lower acidity and sweeter flavor, while Robusta beans have a more bitter flavor and higher caffeine content.
A blend of different types of coffee beans will give you the best balance of flavor and caffeine.
Another factor is the origin. Beans from Central and South America tend to have a brighter, fruitier flavor than those from Africa or Indonesia.
It’s best to experiment with different coffee roasts to find the perfect coffee beans for your taste.
Some people prefer light-roasted beans, others prefer dark roasted beans, and some even like blends that combine light and dark roasts.
So it really depends on what you like best. You can check out this article if you’re still on the hunt for some great coffee beans for espresso coffee.
A quick chocolate sauce recipe to try
- Place the ingredients in a small saucepan on the stove over medium heat.
- Heat the chocolate sauce until the sugar has fully dissolved (about two minutes).
- Remove it from the heat and let it cool completely before storing it.
The chocolate sauce will look like this when completely cooled and stored:
If you’re interested in trying out the recipe for yourself, you can find the complete guide to it in this article.
Can you also make caramel sauce at home?
Yes, you can make caramel sauce at home. Caramel sauce is made by boiling sugar until it turns brown and then adding heavy cream to the mixture.
The resulting sauce is thick, sweet, and perfect for use in so many coffee recipes, including:
If you’ve never made caramel sauce before, don’t be intimidated – it’s actually quite easy.
All you need is sugar, water, and cream. Just follow the simple steps in this article, and you’ll have homemade caramel sauce in no time.
Over there, I’ll show you the steps along with photos so you can easily follow along. The caramel sauce will look like this when finished:
Of course, if you don’t want to go through the trouble of making your own caramel sauce, you can use a store-bought version you might already have at home.
Now, let’s get into the recipe so that you can enjoy this delicious drink in just a few minutes:
- One or two espresso shot (1 or 2 oz, 30 or 60 ml)
- 1/2 cup (0.12 l) of whole milk
- 2 tbsp (30 grams) of mocha sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 grams) of toffee nut syrup
- A serving of whipped cream
- 1 tbsp (15 grams) of caramel sauce
- A pinch of sea salt
- Start by brewing your espresso coffee. Use your favorite coffee brewer for this.
- Meanwhile, steam the whole milk until it's nice and frothy.
- In a tall glass, combine the mocha sauce and toffee nut syrup.
- Pour into the hot espresso coffee and stir to combine to flavors.
- Slowly pour the steamed milk into the glass and optionally give this a stir as well.
- Top with a generous serving of whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
- Finish with a small pinch of sea salt on top and serve as soon as possible. Enjoy!
You can use two espresso shots if you prefer a more robust mocha. If you instead like a sweeter mocha, you can stick with one espresso shot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 11.3gSaturated Fat: 6.1gUnsaturated Fat: 2.4gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 65mgCarbohydrates: 34.4gFiber: 3.3gSugar: 40gProtein: 5.9g
So, there you have it! A delicious and (fairly) simple salted caramel mocha recipe. I hope you’ll give it a try – it’s definitely one of my favorite drinks.
Making your own coffee drinks can be a fun and rewarding experience, and the results are well worth the effort.
If you’d like to try out even more espresso-based recipes, you can have a look below for some of my personal favorites: