Salted caramel is all the rage right now, and for a good reason! The salty-sweet combo is irresistible. But what if you could enjoy that flavor in a cold, creamy foam?
With just a few ingredients and a little time, you can make your own salted caramel cold foam to enjoy any time!
It’s the perfect addition to all your favorite iced coffee drinks and so much more.
In this article, I’ll go over everything there is to know about this cold foam and how to make it. Let’s get started!
What is salted caramel cold foam?
Salted caramel cold foam is a type of cold foam that has been flavored with salt and caramel. It’s made by adding salt and caramel sauce to low-fat milk and then whisking it until it forms a foamy mixture.
The sweetness of the caramel is offset by the saltiness of the foam, making for a refreshing and unique beverage.
While it may sound like an unusual flavor combination at first, once you try it, you’ll be hooked!
Especially once you try this in combination with homemade cold brew coffee like this salted caramel cream cold brew.
Below, I’ll cover the ingredients needed to start, how to make the caramel sauce at home, and much more.
Which ingredients are needed to make salted caramel cold foam?
The best part about making salted caramel cold foam is that you just need to collect three items that you might already have at home:
- 2% fat milk will make the basis for this cold foam. More on the different kinds of milk you can use below.
- Caramel sauce is the main flavoring of this delicious cold foam. You can use a store-bought version, or you can make it at home. Check out the recipe for it here.
- Sea salt will bring out the best caramel sauce flavors. Table salt will also work, but the flavor will be less exciting.
You can choose any milk you prefer to make this cold foam. You can read some tips on choosing it for your taste below:
What kind of milk is best used for cold foam?
There are many different types of milk that can be used to create cold foam. However, the best milk to use is low-fat cow’s milk.
You could also use whole milk or any other kind of milk you have at home. A wide range of dairy-free alternatives also works well to make cold foam.
For the optimal cold foam that holds its structure for a long time, I found that it’s best to use 2% fat milk that has been bought recently.
Milk that has been sitting in your fridge is less favorable because the foam will not hold as long.
What kind of equipment is best used to make cold foam at home?
A handheld blender is the best tool for making cold foam at home, as it allows you to blend the ingredients together quickly and easily without having to use a food processor or standing mixer.
You will also need some type of container to hold the foam while you are blending it.
Alternative, I found that using a pump frother (you can also use your French press for this) makes great-lasting cold foam.
There are even more ways you can make this cold foam at home, and you can read about the different options you have in this article.
How do you make the caramel sauce at home?
Making caramel sauce at home is actually quite easy! All you need is a small saucepan, sugar, water, heavy cream, and some patience.
- First, you’ll need to heat your sugar and water in the pan over medium heat. Swirl the pan sporadically to avoid the sugar burning.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, you’ll need to continue cooking the mixture until it turns an amber color.
- Once the mixture has reached the desired color, you can remove it from the heat and add the heavy cream.
- Give it a good stir, and then allow it to cool slightly before using it to make this cold foam.
It’ll look like this once it’s finished, cooled, and stored in its container:
You can find the complete recipe that also includes photos of the process so that you can easily follow along in this article.
How to make salted caramel cold foam
It’s super quick and easy to make salted caramel cold foam at home. You can check out the steps below for a quick overview.
For the complete recipe, scroll down a bit further.
- Combine the milk, caramel sauce, and sea salt.
- Pour the mixture into the French press beaker (or use a different cold foam technique from the list above).
- Place the plunger on the French press beaker.
- Press up and down for about 30 seconds to a minute until thick foam forms.
- Remove the plunger from the beaker. You can now use your homemade salted caramel cold foam!
As you can see from the photos above, making this cold foam is easy, and you can use any foaming technique you prefer.
What kind of coffees can be topped with this cold foam?
You can top many types of coffees with cold foam, and the possibilities are endless.
Now that you have all the information about this cold foam, you can read the complete recipe for it below so that you can put it to the test:
- 1/2 cup (0.12 l) of 2% fat milk
- 1 tbsp (15 grams) of caramel sauce
- A pinch of sea salt
- Grab your French press beaker.
- Combine the milk, caramel sauce, and a pinch of salt to taste. You can add more salt later on if you prefer this. It's best to start with a small amount so that you don't overdo it.
- Stir the ingredients so that everything is well combined.
- Place the plunger on top of the beaker and start pressing up and down for about 30 seconds and up to a minute.
- Remove the plunger from the beaker once the cold foam is thick and hold its structure well.
- You can now pour it onto your favorite iced coffee, cold brew (or other coffee drinks).
- For the ultimate fluffy consistency, it's best to use the cold foam directly. You can store it in the fridge for a day, but you'll have to fluff it before using it.
You can easily prepare the cold foam mixture beforehand by mixing the ingredient and storing it in the fridge. Once you're ready to top your drink, cold foam it by following the steps above.
I've used a French press for the instructions above. If you'd rather make cold foam with a different technique, you can follow the steps mentioned above in the article. The result will be the same.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 63Total Fat: 1.7gSaturated Fat: 0.7gUnsaturated Fat: 0.8gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 26mgCarbohydrates: 9.3gSugar: 9.6gProtein: 2g
The nutritional information is calculated for one serving of three tablespoons of the salted caramel cold foam.
So, there you have it. My recipe for salted caramel cold foam. It’s a delicious, unique way to top off your favorite iced coffee.
It’s also effortless to make at home with just a few ingredients. If you’re looking for something new and exciting to add to your next coffee, give this recipe a try!
Do you like making cold foam at home? You can try a different flavor by following the recipes below: