Sometimes you just need a little sweet cream in your life. Here are five delicious recipes to try at home!
From a classic vanilla sweet cream to a unique flavor, there’s something for everyone.
Plus, they’re all super easy to make! Give one or all of them a try and see which you like the best. Let’s get started!
What is sweet cream?
Sweet cream is a type of thick, creamy sauce made from heavy cream, milk, and a sweetener such as sugar syrup or spices.
You can also whip sweet cream into a light and fluffy cold foam, so you can use it for your favorite iced coffee, but more on this later.
In this article, I’ll show you the easiest way to make sweet cream at home and go over five flavors you could try.
Let’s start by going over the ingredients needed to get started:
What is sweet cream made of?
You can make sweet cream at home with just three main ingredients. The most common sweet cream is vanilla-flavored, for which you’ll need the following components:
- Heavy cream – This is key to creating a thick, creamy sweet cream. You can find heavy cream at most grocery stores near the dairy section.
- 2% fat milk – You can use any type of milk here, but I usually have 2% fat milk at home. Whole milk will produce the richest result.
- Vanilla syrup – This will sweeten the cream and give it a lovely flavor. You can change the flavor according to your preferences. More sweetening options are listed a bit further down.
You can make the vanilla syrup at home by combining white granulated sugar, vanilla, and water.
You can then place this on the stove until the sugar has dissolved and let it cool afterward. If you want to try the recipe, you can check out this complete recipe.
I’ll go over the different flavors to try a bit further down, but first, what does sweet cream taste like?
What does sweet cream taste like?
Sweet cream is a type of cream that is sweetened with sugar syrup. It has a creamy, smooth texture and a slightly sweet taste.
The flavor of sweet cream can change depending on the add-in you’re using. However, it’ll always have that smooth and velvety texture.
Once you incorporate it with your favorite coffee, it’ll taste like a sweet and creamy mixture. You can compare the taste with coffee creamer, which also has that smooth mouthfeel.
What kind of sweet cream flavors are there?
There are a variety of sweet cream flavors that you can choose from. Some of the most popular flavors and my favorites include:
|Sweet cream flavor:||Ingredients needed:|
|Vanilla||Heavy cream, 2% fat milk, vanilla syrup, or vanilla extract|
|Cinnamon||Heavy cream, 2% fat milk, ground cinnamon|
|Mocha||Heavy cream, 2% fat milk, chocolate sauce, or chocolate syrup|
|Pumpkin spice||Heavy cream, 2% fat milk, pumpkin spice mix|
|Caramel||Heavy cream, 2% fat milk, caramel sauce (homemade or store-bought)|
As you can see from the table above, you can add just about anything to the heavy cream and milk mixture to turn the sweet cream into a different flavor.
You can experiment with different add-ins to see which you like. For example, you can add some Nutella to make Nutella sweet cream.
Which coffees taste good with sweet cream?
Sweet cream is the perfect addition for those who enjoy a creamy cup of coffee.
There are a variety of coffees that taste great with sweet cream, so it really depends on your personal preference.
I personally love adding sweet cream to a rich, dark roast coffee. The creaminess helps to balance out the bold flavor of the coffee and creates a delicious and harmonious cup.
Other coffees that work well with sweet cream include coffee brewed with medium roasted coffee beans.
Basically, you can add it to your morning coffee, use it as a sweetener in your latte (to make it extra decadent), or try adding a tiny amount to an espresso shot.
Make sweet cream cold foam for cold coffees
If you’re looking for a unique and tasty combination, you can also cold foam the mixture and use it as a topping for your favorite iced coffee.
The Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew is a popular combination made with vanilla-flavored sweet cream, cold brew, and a splash of vanilla syrup:
If you’re a fan of sweetening your iced coffee, you can pour the sweet cream straight into it and give it a quick stir, just like hot brewed coffee.
Or try the cold foaming technique to create extra texture. You can do so by adding it to a milk frother with a cold foam function or use a French press instead:
- Add the sweet cream into your French press beaker.
- Place the plunger on top and press up and down until thick froth forms. This usually takes about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Pour the sweet cream cold foam straight onto your favorite iced coffee and serve as soon as possible!
You can learn more about cold foaming in this article, where I cover five different ways you can make it at home!
How to make sweet cream
Making sweet cream is easy! You can check out the overview and the process photos below. You can scroll down a bit further for the complete recipe.
- Pour the heavy cream and milk into a bowl.
- Add the vanilla syrup (or another flavor you like).
- Stir to combine.
- Pour the sweet cream into a container.
- Store the sweet cream in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
As you can see from the photos above, you need just a few ingredients and even less equipment to make sweet cream at home.
Now that you have all the information about the sweet cream, it’s time to make it yourself by following the recipe card below:
Sweet Cream (5 Flavors)
If you want to flavor your morning coffee differently, these five sweet cream flavors will do just that. The best part? You can make it in just five minutes!
- 1/2 cup (0.12 l) of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (0.12 l) of 2% fat milk
- 1 tbsp (15 grams) of vanilla syrup
- Pour the heavy cream and milk into a mixing bowl of choice.
- Add the vanilla syrup. You can add a different flavor at this point. Check the notes for some delicious flavor options.
- Stir to combine the heavy cream mixture with the vanilla syrup (or another sweetener).
- Pour into a container. You can now add it to your favorite coffee!
- Store the sweet cream in the fridge until you're ready to use it.
- To make cinnamon sweet cream, you can add 1 tsp (7 grams) of ground cinnamon.
- To make mocha sweet cream, you can add 1 tbsp (15 grams) of chocolate sauce or chocolate syrup.
- To make pumpkin spice sweet cream, you can add 1 tsp (7 grams) of the pumpkin spice mix.
- To make caramel sweet cream, add 1 tbsp (15 grams) of homemade or store-bought caramel sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142Total Fat: 12.3gSaturated Fat: 7.2gUnsaturated Fat: 3.5gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 35mgCarbohydrates: 8.1gSugar: 7.9gProtein: 2.6g
The nutritional information is calculated for one serving of three tablespoons of vanilla sweet cream.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this article on how to make sweet cream at home. Five different flavor options mean there’s a perfect one for everyone, so be sure to give them all a try!
And they’re all really easy to make and will save you money, too. My favorites are the vanilla and mocha versions.
If you’d like to try even more coffee add-ins for your morning coffee, have a look below for some inspiration: