If you’re looking for a unique and delicious coffee experience, have you ever heard of breve coffee?
It’s an Italian-style espresso drink that is made with steamed half-and-half.
If you like the creaminess and stronger flavor profile that comes from combining dairy products rather than just milk alone, then a breve could be your new favorite way to brew your morning (or afternoon) cup of joe.
In this article, I’ll talk more about what makes a breve so special and provide tips on how to make it right at home -whether you own an espresso machine or not!
So grab yourself a mug because let’s dive into everything related to breve coffee.
What is a breve coffee?
A breve coffee is a type of espresso drink made using steamed half-and-half (a mixture of whole milk and heavy cream) and an equal part brewed espresso.
This delicious drink has become increasingly popular in recent years thanks to its creamy, velvety texture and slightly sweet taste – a great alternative if you are trying to avoid excessive amounts of sugar while still enjoying your daily cup of joe!
The semi-sweet profile makes it an ideal option for those who want something unique without having any added sweetness.
By using only espresso and half-and-half (which contains no sugar), one can enjoy a breve coffee while controlling the overall sugar content they consume.
What does a breve taste like?
A breve is a creamy, flavorful beverage with subtle notes of sweetness and bitterness.
When you first sip a breve, you will be hit by the bold taste of the rich espresso flavor.
Due to the creaminess that comes from the steamed half-and-half, this strong coffee flavoring will be softened.
This lends it a delicate balance between sweet and bitter tones as well as an enjoyable sweetness at the end without having to add any sugar or other sweeteners.
When you compare this to other coffee drinks, such as lattes or cappuccinos, you’ll notice they taste overly sugary in comparison.
A breve offers more complexity in its flavor profile for those who enjoy quality coffee beverages without losing out on its classic caffeinated kick!
Which ingredients are needed for this recipe?
To make a breve at home, you’ll only need the following ingredients:
- Espresso coffee
If you don’t have any half-and-half at home, you can easily make it by combining equal parts whole milk and heavy cream (or light cream depending on the creaminess you’d like to have).
Now that you have a good idea about the small ingredient list, let’s get into the drink itself and how you can make the best homemade version!
What is the difference between a latte and a breve?
A latte and a breve are both types of espresso-based drinks, but there are some significant differences between the two that make each unique.
The main difference between a latte and a breve is the type of milk used in the drink. A latte uses steamed whole milk, while a breve uses steamed half-and-half.
This gives a latte its signature creamy texture and taste while giving a breve an extra richness thanks to its higher fat content.
How do you make espresso at home?
Making espresso at home can be an enjoyable experience when done correctly.
Many people may think that making espresso requires a complicated and expensive machine. However, this is not necessarily true.
The best espresso is made using an espresso machine, which will yield a great espresso with a nice crema:
Besides an espresso machine, you’ve got plenty of other great espresso makers to consider:
- You can use a Moka pot for espresso-like coffee; it will yield a classic espresso taste.
- For a more modern twist, you can use your AeroPress to create espresso-like coffee at home. This is also a great option for when you’re traveling around.
- If you love convenience, you’ll love using a Nespresso or Keurig machine. Pick up some of the best espresso pods, and you’ll be enjoying a breve in just minutes.
As you can see, there are plenty of options to choose from when it comes to making espresso coffee at home.
For most options listed above, you’ll need great-tasting coffee beans. You can have a look below for some great options:
How do you choose the right coffee beans?
Choosing the right coffee beans can seem like a daunting task.
However, when done correctly, selecting the correct beans can provide you with an unbeatable and satisfying cup of coffee.
I recommend sticking with medium to dark roasted coffee beans to make a breve.
These coffee beans will stand out from the added half-and-half, making it a balanced drink.
Before getting into some variations of this classic drink, have a look at the recipe below to see how easy it is to make:
- Two espresso shots
- 2 oz (60 ml) of half-and-half
- Start by brewing your espresso shots. You can use your favorite coffee brewer for this. I used an espresso machine today.
- Brew the espresso shots into a 4-ounce glass for the best presentation.
- Steam the half-and-half and ensure a nice layer of foam on top.
- Pour the steamed and frothed half-and-half on top of the espresso shots.
- Finish with a layer of foam on top.
- Add your favorite sweetener, such as coffee syrup, and enjoy your breve as soon as possible!
It's best to steam a little more half-and-half for the best foam results, especially when using a steaming wand.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 8.36gSaturated Fat: 5.10gUnsaturated Fat: 2.34gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 46mgCarbohydrates: 5gSugar: 3.07gProtein: 3.51g
What are some variations to try?
If you’re looking to try something new with your beloved breve coffee, you could experiment with plenty of variations.
Each one will give the traditional drink an interesting and unique twist, making sure your next cup is just as enjoyable as the last:
- First up on the list of breve coffee variations to try is adding a dollop of whipped cream to your drink. This will give you an even more decadent breve, just like an espresso con panna.
- Another way to change things up a bit is by opting for flavored syrups. You can check out various homemade coffee syrups here, including vanilla syrup, chocolate syrup, and blueberry syrup!
- If you want to enjoy your breve all year long, you can also opt for an iced breve. More on this below!
As you might’ve noticed from the options listed above, there are plenty of variations to try all year long.
For a summer-ready breve, have a look below for more information on how to make this drink iced:
Can you also make an iced breve?
Yes, you can make an iced breve! In fact, this delicious espresso drink is a great way to enjoy your favorite coffee beverage in the summertime.
A breve is essentially a latte with half-and-half instead of milk.
The double shot of espresso mixed with the richer flavor and creaminess of half-and-half makes for an incredibly satisfying cold beverage on a hot day.
To make an iced breve, you can follow the steps below:
- Start by making a double shot of espresso. Let them cool off as much as possible.
- Fill a glass with ice cubes or crushed ice, and then pour half-and-half over the top until it’s halfway full.
- Add the espresso shots to the glass and stir gently so that it is all combined together nicely.
- To impress friends and family, try using flavored syrups – those will add sweetness and extra flavor to your iced breve!
- Lastly, top off with some extra ice cubes for maximum refreshment on extra hot days!
If you want to learn more, you can follow this in-depth article to make an iced breve at home!
Breve coffee is a drink for everyone, whether you need an energy boost in the morning or are looking for something special during your afternoon break.
With its creamy texture and unique flavor profile, this caffeinated beverage can really hit the spot when you want something out of the ordinary.
Making it at home only takes a few minutes and requires minimal effort yet yields incredible results that will leave you wanting more.
Plus, with its various variations, like an iced breve, you’re sure never to get bored of savoring this delicious favorite.
In other words, let a breve become part of your daily routine and sip away!