I love starting my mornings with my Nespresso coffee machine, but although I’ve got a machine from the brand’s Original line, I’ve recently been experimenting with the Vertuo machine.
If you’re like me, you might wonder if you should make the switch to one of those instead.
Quick Answer: Which Nespresso machine is best?
Nespresso Vertuo is better than the Original because it’s more advanced, with its coffee capsules that have in-built barcodes, which the machine picks up and uses to adjust its brewing process. However, an Original coffee machine is more versatile, as you can use third-party coffee capsules in it.
In this article, I’ll explore the Nespresso Vertuo vs. Original debate in greater detail to see which coffee machine line is more effective and has better value for money.
I’ll also explore other questions regarding coffee machines that you might have, such as if all coffee pods will fit Nespresso machines and if a machine that accommodates both original and Vertuo pods exists.
What is the Nespresso Original coffee machine?
The Nespresso Original line contains coffee makers such as the Essenza Mini, Lattissima, and Inissia.
These machines make use of six main groups that display different flavors and intensities, which are listed as follows:
- Limited Editions
- Ispirazione Italiana
- Barista Creations
- World explorations
Nespresso Original coffee machines enable you to make the following drink sizes:
- Ristretto – 0.85 oz (25.13 ml)
- Espresso – 1.35 oz (40 ml)
- Lungo – 5 oz (148 ml)
All the coffee machines in the Original line use a 19-bar high-pressure extraction system that mimics traditional Italian espresso machines, as Nespresso reports.
If you love crema in your coffee, this type of coffee machine is a great bet for you because it will fill your cup with dense crema.
- Highly compatible with many capsules. The Original Nespresso machines can be used with a variety of coffee capsules, all from different coffee brands. You’re not limited to Nespresso capsules when using this coffee maker.
- Variety of coffee drinks. Original machines ensure you can make a variety of coffee and espresso drinks, such as latte and cappuccino. If you want to learn how to make tasty cappuccinos, read my guide on how to make a mocha cappuccino.
- 24 varieties of coffee are available. The Nespresso Original comes with 24 coffee varieties to try, as well as additional seasonal or special editions.
- Compact size. The coffee makers in the Original line are all compact, which makes them versatile for use in various settings and small homes.
- More versatile machines are priced higher. Although there are some Original coffee machines that can be used to froth and steam milk, therefore increasing the variety of coffees you can make at home, they do cost more money.
- Nespresso-compatible capsules are a single size. This means that your larger drinks, such as a lungo, will be a bit diluted.
What is the Nespresso Vertuo?
Nespresso Vertuo is a game-changer when it comes to making delicious coffee because you can brew cups that are up to 414 ml (14 oz) in size with suitable coffee capsules.
Coffee machines in the Vertuo line come with three extra pod sizes, so you can make different sizes of your favorite coffee. These are:
- Gran Lungo – 5 oz (148 ml)
- Coffee – 7.77 oz (228 ml)
- Alto XL – 14 oz (414 ml)
Coffee makers in this line contain coffee pods that have a barcode on them, which outlines everything you need to make a delicious cup of coffee, such as the water flow that you should use and the ideal temperature that’s required.
When the machine detects this barcode that contains all that valuable information, it interprets it and then uses the information to adjust how it works so that you get the right type and style of coffee that you want:
These machines also boast a line of pods for making milk-based drinks. With this machine, you can make drinks such as:
- Double Espresso
- Grand Lungo
- Larger drinks with more crema. You can make larger coffee beverages that have thicker crema when using a Vertuo Nespresso machine.
- Five pod sizes. Vertuo pods come in five different sizes, providing different flavors and intensity levels.
- Less effort is required by you. When you insert the pod into the machine, its barcode is read, and this automatically brews you a cup of coffee according to the specifications, so you don’t have to do anything.
- 23 coffee varieties. The Nespresso Vertuo range of coffee machines provides 23 varieties of coffee capsules, plus special editions.
- Limited to Nespresso capsules. You can only use Nespresso capsules for Vertuo machines because of their barcode, which has to be “read” by the machine.
- Not compatible with Original capsules. If you’re upgrading to a Vertuo from an Original Nespresso coffee machine, you won’t be able to use your Original coffee capsules because they’re incompatible.
- Capsules are expensive. The Vertuo coffee capsules are more expensive than those offered by the Original Nespresso machine, which might not fit every budget.
Is there a machine that uses both Original and Vertuo pods?
There isn’t a Nespresso machine that can be used with Original and Vertuo pods. Original pods must be used in an Original coffee machine, while Vertuo pods must be used in Vertuo coffee machines.
But, the Original coffee machine can accommodate a wide variety of other third-party coffee capsules.
Do all coffee pods fit Nespresso machines?
Generally, different types of coffee pods will fit different Nespresso machines.
Your Vertuo Nespresso machine can’t be used with any type of pod unless it’s Nespresso-branded. You also can’t make use of any third-party pods in these machines.
When it comes to your Original Nespresso machine, you can use other pods in it, but you won’t be able to use Vertuo machine pods.
This is because they’re shaped and sized differently, so they simply won’t fit. Original pods come in a coffee cup shape, while the Vertuo pods are dome-shaped:
Nespresso Vertuo vs. Original: Which one should you buy?
Both the Vertuo and Original coffee machine lines have their respective pros and cons.
But you should choose a Nespresso Original coffee machine if you mainly drink espressos and cappuccinos.
Another important reason to consider choosing a Nespresso Original is if you’re on a budget. Since Nespresso Original coffee machines are more affordable, they make more sense to purchase instead of a Nespresso Vertuo.
By comparison, you should choose a Nespresso Vertuo coffee machine if you love drinking longer coffees.
If you want larger coffees with more crema, then this coffee machine will be a good investment.
It’s important to note that when buying a Vertuo machine, you’ll have to spend more on the coffee capsules, which can usually only be purchased through Nespresso.
Best Nespresso Vertuo coffee machines
If you’re interested in purchasing a Nespresso Vertuo coffee machine for your kitchen, here are two models to consider.
And they’re both available from Amazon. Let’s take a look at their special features, pros, and cons.
1. Nespresso Vertuo Machine by De’Longhi
This automatic coffee and espresso machine enables you to brew four different cup sizes, plus it makes use of barcode technology so you can get the best crema for your cup.
It’s designed with a 54 oz (7-cup) water tank capacity and heats up within 15 seconds. It comes with a capacity for 17 capsules.
- Optional frother. You can purchase the Vertuo coffee machine with a frother included if you like milk-based drinks.
- Coffee capsules included. The machine comes with 12 pods containing different coffee sizes, flavors, and intensities.
- Easy setup. This coffee machine comes with simple instructions to follow so that it’s easy to set up and start using.
- Loud cleaning cycle. When you clean the machine, it can be quite noisy.
- Milk frother doesn’t work with all types of milk. While it works well with cow’s milk, other types of milk don’t froth up as easily in this frother.
2. Nespresso Vertuo Next Machine by De’Longhi with Milk Frother
This Vertuo coffee machine is the most sustainable and compact one in the line. It’s only 5.5 inches (14 cm) wide, so it won’t take up a lot of space on your kitchen counter.
It’s made out of partially recycled materials, so you won’t feel guilty about your eco-footprint.
- Variety of drink sizes. You can make espresso and coffee in 5.8 oz (172 ml) and 18 oz (532 ml) sizes.
- Milk frother included. It comes with a milk frother, so you can whip up cold foam or hot milk for your coffee drinks.
- Programmable sizes. This coffee machine allows you to program the coffee sizes for increased convenience.
- Tight closing hinge. It can be difficult to press down the hinge at times, as compared to other Nespresso coffee machines.
- Loud. This machine can be quite noisy at times.
Best Nespresso Original coffee machines
Maybe you’d prefer to stick to an Original Nespresso coffee machine. If that’s the case, here are two products you can find on Amazon. Let’s check out their pros, cons, and features.
1. Nespresso Lattissima Touch Machine with Milk Frother by De’Longhi
This Original Nespresso coffee machine uses a flow of water that has 19 bars of pressure so that you can make quick and delicious coffee and espresso drinks.
It’s great if you want versatility in what you drink, such as if you love cappuccino, ristretto, or espresso and don’t want to be limited to just one.
- Automatic cappuccino system. You can make coffees and espressos with thick foam, and you can choose the milk level that you like.
- Thermoblock heating system. This coffee maker heats up within mere seconds.
- One-touch operation. To start making delicious coffee, all you need to do is press one button, and the machine will take care of the rest.
- Beverage icons aren’t obvious. To choose the drink you want to make with the machine, you have to press its corresponding button, but the icons on the buttons aren’t clearly displayed.
2. Nespresso CitiZ Machine by De’Longhi with Milk Frother
This popular model from Nespresso’s Original line has everything you expect from the line, such as the 19-bar pump system.
There are some extra features to make whipping up a delicious cup of coffee a breeze every morning, such as that it has an adjustable cup size.
- Programmable buttons. The machine has two programmable buttons – one for making a lungo coffee and one for making an espresso – that you can use to make single-serve coffee.
- Removable components. With its removable drip tray, water tank, and espresso capsule container, this coffee maker is easy to clean.
- Folding cup tray. This coffee maker is ideal for making taller glass coffee recipes, such as a latte.
- Lacks modernity. It has two hard-pressed buttons that make it feel less modern than Vertuo coffee makers, which are designed to be more intuitive.
- Doesn’t clean automatically. You’ll have to clean it yourself regularly, such as when it comes to descaling the machine.
If you want to purchase a Nespresso machine but you’re not sure which one to choose, you might want to compare the Nespresso Original with the Vertuo.
In this guide, I’ve broken down what makes both of these coffee machine lines special, looking at their pros and cons. When choosing between them, generally, you should:
- Choose a Nespresso Original if you want more versatility with your coffee capsules.
- Choose a Nespresso Original if you love using third-party coffee brands.
- Choose a Nespresso Vertuo if you want to make larger coffees with more crema.
- Choose a Nespresso Vertuo if you have the budget for it!