Have you ever wondered what it would taste like to mix hot chocolate with coffee? Well, I can tell you that it is the utmost delicious drink.
In this article, I’ll be going over a few things before getting into the recipe itself. I’ll tell you all about what this recipe is, what it tastes like, what ingredients you’re going to need, and below the recipe, you get to find out how to make chocolate curls yourself.
Does this sound like something you’re interested in? Then you are in luck, as I’ll go over everything in this article. Are you ready? Grab yourself a nice cup of coffee and start reading away!
What is hot chocolate with coffee?
Hot chocolate with coffee is just like you think it is. It is delicious hot chocolate, with added coffee and various other add-ons to it.
Further down, I’ll tell you all about the ingredients of this recipe so you can get a feeling of what the result of this recipe will taste like.
To give you an idea of what this wonderful recipe will taste like; think of the best hot chocolate you’ve ever tasted, with the most intense chocolate flavor, and then combine the taste of coffee with it.
Incredibly delicious is what it is. For me, this is the perfect recipe for those colder months, or when I just feel like making a hot chocolate and still want some caffeine to get my day started.
What does the hot chocolate taste like?
Imagine you have an incredibly rich-tasting hot chocolate; filled with the most fantastic chocolate. And then the taste of a great espresso comes through. Doesn’t that sound like something you are interested in? Then read along.
For this recipe, you get to use the best chocolate you can think of, as long as you feel like using it. The next best thing is brewing that excellent espresso coffee to add later on.
What ingredients to use for this recipe?
The hot chocolate with coffee recipe can be made using whatever ingredients you want. For example, if you want to use a milk alternative, feel free to do so.
I do suggest trying out the recipe to find out if you like the taste of it. I think you’ll love it as much as I do. I’ll be using the following items to make this amazing recipe:
- Whole milk
- Dark chocolate 85%
- Whipped cream
- A shot of espresso (or any other coffee)
- Sweetener (optional)
As you can see from the items listed above, this recipe doesn’t need many ingredients to make something great. But if you’d like to remove or replace anything at all, please do so. Your Dream Coffee is all about brewing the best coffee for you.
I’m using the 85% dark chocolate from Moser Roth because this is a bar of amazing chocolate to use for hot chocolate, but also to snack on.
As you now know everything you need to get started with the recipe, let’s jump into it:
- 20 grams of chocolate (of your choice)
- 5 grams of cocao powder
- 1 cup (0.24 l) of milk
- Shot of espresso
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate curls
- A bit of vanille sugar or other sweetener (optional)
Before getting started on this recipe, make sure you've got everything you need. Yes, this has happened to me a lot, and it isn't fun. Now that you've gathered everything, let's get into it:
- Start by adding your milk into a small saucepan and placing it on medium heat on your stovetop.
- Get a whisk and use the whisk to stir through the milk as it gets hotter. Make sure not to place the heat too high, as you might risk burning your milk.
- When your milk is hot, and it is not boiling. Add your chocolate and cacao powder and stir for a few seconds. This is also the time to add your sweetener if you want to add any.
- After a few seconds have passed, remove the pan from the heat and keep stirring until the chocolate is fully dissolved. This might take a minute or two, but be patient as it will be worth the wait.
- Meanwhile, you can start to pull your shot of espresso, or you can make any other strong coffee you like to add.
- Now that you've got your hot chocolate and the espresso (or other coffee) ready, it's time to combine the two.
- Pour the hot chocolate into your favorite cup and pour the coffee straight in there. Make sure you get a big enough cup for this, as this is a drink you're going to enjoy for the next few minutes.
- Top your hot chocolate with coffee with the whipped cream and add the chocolate curls on top.
Your hot chocolate with coffee is now done! You can now enjoy this amazing drink from a cozy place.
I've made this recipe using 85% chocolate to give the hot chocolate the taste it needs. However, if you don't like dark chocolate, you can switch this out for milk or white chocolate.
You can also opt for the use of dark chocolate with a lower amount of cocoa powder, like 30% dark chocolate.
Note: the calories in this recipe are based on the use of 1 cup of whole milk, 20 grams of dark chocolate, and a serving of whipped cream. Adding or replacing items on the ingredient list will change the calories as well.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 19.64gSaturated Fat: 8.5gTrans Fat: 0.5gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 44.4mgSodium: 112.9mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1.1gSugar: 22.3gProtein: 8.78g
How to make chocolate curls yourself
If you want to make an ultra-fancy version of the hot chocolate with coffee, you’re going to want to make yourself some chocolate curls. You can use the chocolate curls to decorate the hot chocolate, so it looks stunning.
To make the chocolate curls, you need to get a chocolate bar of your choice and a sharp chef’s knife to get started.
1. Place the chocolate bar face down onto a cutting board:
2. Get your chef’s knife and place it at a 30-degree angle. You want to angle the knife away from you for added support and safety:
3. Slowly put some pressure on the knife and scrape the chocolate bar.
4. In the end, it’ll leave you with these amazing chocolate shavings, which you can use to decorate your hot chocolate:
That’s all there is to it, super easy and quick to make, and these curls will look epic on that home-made hot chocolate with coffee!
This is such a delicious recipe; I just had to share it with you. For me, this recipe is the best of two worlds; you get an amazing hot chocolate and the added caffeine and flavor from the coffee! Simply amazing.
You can make this recipe in no time, and you’ll be glad to have given this a try. You can switch out any of the mentioned ingredients to suit your taste, as I’ve said before.
I hope to see you back on my blog very soon, as I’ll be sharing many more recipes with you. If you’re interested in more coffee recipes right now, you can check them out below.
Are you going to make this recipe soon? Let me know by leaving a comment down below. If you have any other questions regarding coffee, you can also contact me directly by pressing the “Contact Me” button at the top!