We all love a hot cup of coffee first thing in the morning and also enjoy a refreshing iced coffee on a hot summer afternoon.
But what if you could have both? Now you can with this simple 5-minute recipe for iced chocolate coffee.
This article will show you the easy steps to get started with this recipe, a homemade recipe for chocolate sauce, the best coffee brewing technique, and so much more. Let’s get started!
What is chocolate iced coffee?
Chocolate iced coffee is a delicious cold beverage that combines the rich flavor of chocolate with the boldness of coffee. It’s the perfect drink for satisfying your sweet tooth while getting a caffeine fix.
Making chocolate iced coffee at home is easy, and all you need is some good quality chocolate sauce and freshly brewed coffee.
There are a few more steps involved to make the perfect version of this iced coffee at home, which I’ll go over below.
Tip: Check out this guide for making iced coffee at home if you’re making it for the first time!
But first, let’s go over the components needed to make this drink:
What ingredients are needed to make chocolate iced coffee?
To make the perfect chocolate iced coffee, you will need:
- Brewed coffee
- Chocolate sauce
- Ice cubes
- Whipped cream and chocolate shavings (optional)
It’s best to brew the coffee beforehand, but you can also brew it before making the drink and quickly cool it down by adding a few ice cubes to it.
How do you make the chocolate sauce at home?
It’s quite simple to make the chocolate sauce, actually:
- Combine cocoa powder, cold tap water, and white granulated sugar in a small saucepan.
- Heat the mixture over low heat while constantly whisking until it comes to a boil.
- Once boiling, continue to whisk for another minute before removing it from the heat.
- That’s it! And if you want to get really fancy, you can whisk in a splash of vanilla extract after removing it from the heat.
You can check out the complete guide to making the chocolate sauce at home in this article. It’ll look like this after making it:
You’ll be amazed at how easy it is to make, and you might never want to switch to a store-bought version again!
Which coffee brewing technique is best used?
Chocolate iced coffee is my personal favorite. It is so easy to make, and you can use any type of coffee you want.
I personally like it best when it is made with a French press (which I use every morning).
I make it this way because it is the easiest way to make it, but also because it is my favorite.
However, there are many different ways you can prepare your coffee to make the perfect chocolate iced coffee at home.
Below, I’ve listed the different brewing techniques you can use:
- French press coffee will make for the most robust coffee flavor.
- Chemex coffee will make for a well-balanced and refreshing iced coffee.
- Brewing coffee with the Hario V60 is perfect for one-cup recipes.
If you have some leftover brewed coffee, consider making some coffee ice cubes for this recipe (or a different iced coffee on a later date) by freezing the coffee in an ice cube tray, or ice cube bag:
The coffee ice cubes will leave you with more coffee flavor once they start melting than regular ice cubes that leave you with a watery iced coffee.
You can check out the complete recipe for it here.
What are the best coffee beans to use?
There is no one “best” coffee bean. It all depends on your taste and what you are looking for in a cup of coffee.
Some people prefer light, fruity-tasting beans, while others prefer dark, earthy-tasting beans. And then there are those who like a blend of different flavors.
That said, because chocolate is used in the recipe, the best coffee beans to use would be something that has a strong flavor profile – something that will stand up to the chocolate and not get lost in the mix.
A dark roast coffee bean would be a good option for this.
What are the best add-ins for this iced coffee?
There are a few different types of add-ins that you can use to make your iced coffee even more delicious.
One great option is to add a flavoring syrup. These can be found in a variety of flavors, so you can choose one that sounds good to you or experiment until you find your perfect combination. Popular iced coffee syrups include:
The above-listed syrups may be a good add-in, depending on the sweetness level you like. Because the chocolate sauce is already pretty sweet, you might not want to overdo it by adding syrup to it.
Another delicious option is to add some whipped cream on top. This will make your drink extra creamy and rich, and it’s always a good idea to top off your iced coffee with a few chocolate shavings or cocoa powder.
If you like to add milk to your daily coffee, you might be interested in trying out cold foam as a topping to this chocolate iced coffee.
You can make it by cold foaming 2% fat milk for about a minute until thick foam forms. You can find a step-by-step guide here.
Furthermore, you can make chocolate cream cold foam that will work great in this recipe to keep things in the chocolate-flavored realm!
Now that you have all the information needed to make this iced coffee at home, you can put it all together by following the recipe card below:
- 3/4 cup (0.18 l) of brewed coffee (cooled)
- 2 tbsp (30 grams) of chocolate sauce
- Ice cubes
- Optional: a serving of whipped cream and chocolate curls
- If you haven't done so already, brew a batch of coffee of your choice. I went with French press coffee for this recipe.
- Let the coffee cool slightly before using. You can add a few ice cubes to the coffee to speed up the cooling process.
- Fill a tall glass to about halfway with ice cubes, or even better, coffee ice cubes.
- Add the chocolate sauce to the glass.
- Pour the cooled brewed coffee into the glass and optionally give it a quick stir.
- Finish the coffee by adding a serving of whipped cream along with some chocolate curls, or more chocolate sauce.
- Serve the coffee with a long spoon so you and your guests can give it a stir and enjoy!
You can brew the coffee before heading to bed and let it cool completely in the fridge. The next day, you can quickly make this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113Total Fat: 6.3gSaturated Fat: 3.8gUnsaturated Fat: 0.4gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 7mgCarbohydrates: 5.4gFiber: 3.3gSugar: 10.1gProtein: 2g
If you’re a fan of iced coffee and chocolate, I highly recommend giving this recipe a try. It’s really easy to make, and the end result is delicious.
Plus, it’ll save you some money compared to buying those pre-made drinks at the coffee shop.
I like that you can customize the flavor by using different add-ins of your choice and that you can choose how you like to brew your coffee to turn it into the perfect iced coffee for you!
If you’d like to try out some more iced coffee recipes, you can check out the recipes listed below: