Are you looking for a delicious and refreshing coffee drink to enjoy during the hot summer days? Look no further than iced red eye coffee!
This unique beverage is made by combining espresso and brewed coffee, and it tastes amazing. This version is served over ice, unlike its hot counterpart, for that refreshing touch.
Ready to make your own at home? Here’s how.
What is an iced red eye coffee?
An iced red eye is a coffee drink with brewed coffee and added espresso. It’s served over ice for a refreshing drink for any time of the day.
This combination results in a rich and flavorful beverage that can wake you up and energize you for the day ahead.
Many coffee lovers enjoy iced red eyes because they find the taste to be more intense and enjoyable than regular iced coffee.
Many people find that adding cold milk or cream helps balance out the flavors, making for a refreshing and energizing drink, but more on this later.
Plus, the added espresso gives you an extra energy boost to help you get through your day.
So, if you’re looking for a delicious and energizing way to start your day, try an iced red eye!
What ingredients are needed to make an iced red eye?
To make an iced red eye at home, you’ll need three simple ingredients:
- Brewed coffee
- Espresso shot
- Ice cubes
For this recipe to work, you can choose which brewing technique you prefer the most.
The flavor profile of your iced red eye will change depending on the technique used:
- Chemex coffee will make a well-balanced and refreshing iced coffee.
- French press coffee will make the most robust version of the iced red eye.
- The Hario V60 is perfect for one-cup recipes and also makes a well-balanced iced red eye.
As you can see, you can have a different-tasting version of the iced red eye if you want to switch things up and use a different coffee brewer.
I prefer using the French press to brew my coffee for this recipe.
Because I like to drink my iced coffees with lots of ice, the coffee will be slightly diluted over time when sitting out in the sun, so a more robust coffee will help keep that delicious flavor intact.
You can also make some coffee ice cubes to keep things cool. Plus, they’ll leave you with even more coffee flavor once they melt!
Simply freeze some of your leftover brewed coffee beforehand to make them. You can check out the recipe for it here.
Which coffee beans are best used for this recipe?
This recipe combines two forms of coffee into one delicious drink, which is why I’ll cover some of the best coffee beans for both brewing techniques below, so you’re sure to make the best homemade iced coffee!
Best coffee beans for espresso
There are a lot of different coffee beans out there, and espresso is one of the most popular brewing methods around. So, what are the best coffee beans for espresso?
There are a few things to consider when choosing coffee beans for espresso:
- The first is grind size. Espresso is a demanding brewing method, so you’ll want to get a consistent, uniform grind from your beans.
- The second is bean origin. There are great espresso coffees from all over the world, but some of the most popular origins include Brazil, Ethiopia, and Sumatra.
- The third is roast level. Darker roasts tend to be the most used for espresso, but any coffee roast will make delicious espresso at home.
- Finally, it’s important that the coffee beans are freshly roasted. It’s best to use your batch of fresh coffee beans within eight weeks of roasting for optimal flavor.
You can check out some of my favorite coffee beans for espresso here!
Best coffee beans for brewed coffee
There are a lot of different coffee beans on the market, but my personal favorite beans for brewed coffee are Lifeboost Medium Roast from Amazon.com. It has a really rich flavor that I love.
Some people prefer light roasts, while others prefer dark roasts. I like a medium roast with a little sweetness and a nice chocolate flavor.
However, everyone’s taste is different, so you’ll have to experiment to find the roast that you like best.
As for the origin of the beans, I would recommend trying beans from different parts of the world to see which ones you like best.
I love Ethiopian coffee, but I know some people prefer Colombian or Brazilian coffee.
I would also recommend trying out a few different blends and roasts to find what you like the best. As with anything else, it’s all about personal preference!
You can check out some of my favorite coffee beans below:
What are some good add-ins for an iced red eye?
There are a number of different add-ins that can make an iced red eye even more enjoyable. A few popular options include:
- A splash of milk will help smooth out the flavors and make the drink more enjoyable.
- A dash of vanilla extract adds a touch of sweetness and depth of flavor to the drink.
- Your favorite coffee creamer for an extra layer of decadence. You can check out some delicious homemade versions here.
- Sugar syrups are also a great option because they stir in easily and make your drink taste however you want. Check out these homemade syrups that you can make in just five minutes.
Whichever add-ins you choose, be sure to experiment and find the perfect combination for your own personal taste!
Now, let’s get into the complete recipe, so you can give this refreshing iced coffee a taste for yourself:
- 3/4 cup (0.18 l) of brewed coffee
- One espresso shot (1 oz or 30 ml)
- Ice cubes
- Start by brewing the coffee. Choose a brewing technique that you love for the optimal flavor.
- While the coffee is brewing, also prepare the espresso shot.
- Let both coffees cool completely before using. You can speed up the process by adding an ice cube to the coffee.
- Then, fill a tall glass to about halfway with ice cubes.
- Pour in the cooled, brewed coffee.
- Finish the iced red eye coffee by slowly pouring the cooled espresso shot into the glass.
- Stir to combine, add a sweetener if you prefer this, and enjoy!
If you want to make this drink in the early morning, you can brew the coffee and espresso before heading to bed and let it cool completely in the fridge overnight. This way, you can quickly put it together first thing!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1
I hope you’ll give this recipe a try! It’s perfect for summer mornings or when you need an afternoon pick-me-up.
I love that it’s really easy to make, and the final product is delicious. Plus, you can customize the flavor to your taste by adding your favorite add-in to the mix!
Do you like making iced coffee at home? Check out some of my favorite summer-ready iced coffee recipes below: